London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
13 messages
06/07/2012 at 15:55

Hello there, one of my potato sacks has unfortunatly suffered from the dreaded blight... i was just wondering what to do with the soil and compost that is in the sack, is it still safe to grow other fruit and veg in there like a broccoli or even a few carrots? should i be treating the soil first with something? or is it okay to grow non-potato like vegatables straight away?

If anyone needs help with pond problems im your man to ask so feel free

07/07/2012 at 11:41

Nobody knows ?  is the soil safe to plant other vegetables in ?

07/07/2012 at 11:47

Blight is an airborne disease-as you probably know it will affect tomatoes as well-but shouldn't affect you growing anything else unrelated

You will obviously need to add some nutrient to the soil.

07/07/2012 at 12:14

Thank you very much i shall indeed be adding some nutrients and wont be planting tomatoes 

07/07/2012 at 13:54

I think it would be OK to use straight away with anything but tomatoes or potatoes. It's not too late for quick-growing salad crops, chard, late carrots, or even some dwarf French beans.

20/07/2012 at 09:57

Potato blight is affecting nearly all the potatoe crops on our allotments.  The potatoes harvested will not store so we are giving ours away to friends and neighbours.  Have cut some tops down to ground level to leave in the ground for 2 more weeks before harvesting.  Then I am cutting the affected leaves from my main crop and wonder if they will be OK.  Think you will have to sterilise the soil thoroughly but personally I would dispose of that soil and not put it into your garden either.

20/07/2012 at 20:38

Blight on spuds and toms is so awful that I for one would not want to risk its return next year by having the infected soil anywhere near my growing areas. Get rid. It's not worth it.

20/07/2012 at 23:03

I don't think it would be much of a problem if say, you use it in your front garden keeping it well away from where you'd grow pots/tommies out the back. That's just a guess though based on what I've done in the past without blight coming back.

21/07/2012 at 12:56

Getting rid of the soil is a bit extreme. In most garden circumstances, the soil is part of the garden and is not normally removed. Sensible crop rotation should keep further crops from being infected by the soil.

But that is only if it's soil-borne in the first place. Blight spores are  normally brought in on the wind, in warm damp conditions. Even spore-free soil can't protect from that. The evidence on it remaining active in the soil seems a bit scant, and it's perfectly OK to use the soil for unrelated crops or for ornamental plants.

And for what it's worth, I accidentally planted tomatoes in a bed that had blighted potatoes in it last year. I have sprayed them twice with Bordeaux Mixture, and there's very little sign of blight yet despite the weather - less than in previous years when I was careful to rotate the crops. This year's potatoes, which are in blight-free soil, are a bit of a disaster, as they were very slow to grow, and the blight stopped them in their tracks before there were many potatoes.

21/07/2012 at 22:49

If only one sack of spuds has been affected , for peace of mind I wouldn't use the compost in it again, it would be different if the spuds were in open ground but they aren't. Measured up against the cost of new compost or using old which has blight affect spuds in - take it to the tip    

25/08/2013 at 18:27

what about having big bonfires on the potato patch, and then spreading it all around, adding fresh fertilizer, then turning it in.

06/09/2013 at 18:01

I think he said it was a sack not a patch - I don't see why you couldn't use it as a mulch around your ornamentals later in the year and then let the frost do it's work. Just a thought.

07/09/2013 at 08:25

For starters, it depends what sort of blight it was. "Blight" has become a generic term for all sorts of fungal problems. The most common fungal problem, though, is Early Blight.

Early Blight infections arrive through the air. The spores are invisible to the naked eye and everywhere. They can land on the soil or drop from the foliage to the soil and will live on. But they don't poison the soil in any way.

The only way they can re-impact on a plant is for them somehow to be brought back in contact with the plant's foliage. Turn over the surface soil, burying any spores that might remain on the surface, and they're out of harm's way.

email image
13 messages