London (change)
Sat 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
1 to 20 of 37 messages
12/05/2014 at 10:30

Me again......sorry!

I'm hoping I haven't made mistake number 3!!! My potatoes weren't growing well and after a few days of rain have shot up, I have a feeling I should have done something with compost before they got this big??

I have looked on the big web and there isn't really much info after the initial planting, and can't find much on the forum either about putting more soil on.  Should I have done it already and if so, have I ruined them? If not then when should I do it? Also how much, do I completely cover them, half cover them or what??

Both varieties are earlys, first and second.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/45522.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/45528.jpg?width=276&height=350&mode=max

Thanks.

12/05/2014 at 10:34

OL.......cover them with soil when they first poke thru...........looks like you don't have much space left for more soil but you could cover again almost to the rim.

12/05/2014 at 10:48

Yeah, just chuck it on!  They'll cope, and within days will be peeping out at the top again, but you'll get more potatoes for it.  Potatoes can cope with most things. 

12/05/2014 at 10:48

Except frost....!

12/05/2014 at 10:49

Yes, cover them over with some more soil - they'll peep through again soon 

12/05/2014 at 11:00

You're doing good OL! Just keep covering them in soil and we'll be round for Sunday roast soon enough

12/05/2014 at 11:09

Thanks everyone, the tubs are actually deeper than they look and aren't even half way up yet so still of plenty of room, they are basically a compost bin chopped in half (it wasn't mine and I didn't chop it in half - actually it was the neighbour's who woke me up last Saturday!!! )

I will get some compost out at lunchtime and 'chuck it on' 

Thanks again for your patience 

20/05/2014 at 09:12

I'm still not sure I'm doing this right!  The shoots seem to be coming back through everyday and quite big, is that right, it just seems too quick 

20/05/2014 at 09:13

Sounds perfect - exactly what they should do 

20/05/2014 at 09:36
Orchid Lady wrote (see)

I'm still not sure I'm doing this right!  The shoots seem to be coming back through everyday and quite big, is that right, it just seems too quick 

As Dove says, as it should be.

Perhaps you're being a bit delicate,.....a couple of inches, rather than a sprinkle.

20/05/2014 at 10:22

OL that's just what mine are doing and I keep chucking heaps on! My first bag of potatoes is now too full of soil to add any more in and the plants are so HUGE! Perhaps you like me under estimated just how big these plants seem to get and how quickly they grow!

20/05/2014 at 17:11
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/6885483c-9812-41b6-a9aa-0ccee335a30b_zps4ecb774e.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c186/DavidKnapper/003_zpsdeda539d.jpg

These have been planted for about 10 weeks now and should be ready for harvesting by the bank holiday weekend.

20/05/2014 at 17:19
Hi, sorry to jump on this thread with my question but seen as though everybody here is talking potatoes I thought it would save a new thread being made, basically I'm new to gardening and growing fruit, veg and flowers etc, and just wondered if it's now to late to start off my own potato growing?
Is there a kind of deadline where I should have already had them in or not? Thanks all.
20/05/2014 at 18:12

If you can  still find some seed potatoes(maincrop) you will just about get away with it if you plant in the ground now. It's too late for growing  earlies in bags.

20/05/2014 at 18:17

Most people will have their potatoes in by now, but my advice would depend on what your situation is.  Do you already have some seed potatoes?  If so, I would say bung them in, they may come up a bit late, but you could probably get away with it.  If not, then you may have difficulty trying to source some seed potatoes, as the garden centres, DIY stores, homestores etc. would not aim to stock it at this time of year, BUT that being said, they are often selling it off cheap because they overstocked, and they can't hang on to it.  If you find somewhere selling it off cheap, look for the firmest potatoes, they should have some florets on them, or roots poking out.  None of them will be very firm by now - they will all be a bit cushiony, but if they have something growing out of them, you do stand a chance, but get a move on!!  Still, nothing much to lose if you get a bag of seed potatoes for 50p

20/05/2014 at 18:28

Thanks everyone David, those spuds look great  So I presume I just keep topping up until the tubs are full and then let the laves grow like David's, how do I know when they are ready to harvest?

No worries jumping on the thread Dan, I do it all the time  I can't help because as you've probably gathered, I'm new to this too but good luck 

20/05/2014 at 18:29

I forgot to say, I be been and got more compost and topped them up with a good couple of inches 

20/05/2014 at 19:13
Ok thanks for the replies, I'll get out tomorrow and see if I can find any bargains going and get to it!
20/05/2014 at 19:29

OL - Yes top them up to the top, leaving room to water of course.....and they sure do drink a lot of water.

'How do you know when they are ready to harvest?'....now there's a question that has occupied acres of space on this forum and others...truth is, it's a bit trial & error, luck and experience. For me I reckon mine are worth emptying a trial pot between 10 to12 weeks after planting.

Perhaps we may have more words about it when yours are nearer their time.

20/05/2014 at 20:53

Oopsy......I can't remember exactly when I planted them and muppet me hasn't written it down, silly billy!!!! 

1 to 20 of 37 messages