Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

potato sack compost

can I use the compost from the potato sack again for the next lot of potatoes? This is my first time growing potatoes and there were not that many of them (is this normal?) but they are delicious!

• MuddyForkMuddyFork Posts: 435

You shouldn't use it for potatoes again to avoid disease buildup.  What I do is refill the bags with soil from my veg plot and  put the used compost there to replace what I have just taken.  I add chicken manure to improve the fertility.

• marypigmarypig Posts: 5

thanks - that's useful information.

• Chris9Chris9 Posts: 92

Hi  

I hope you don't mind me jumping in, I have put potatoe seed in two compost bags for christmas but amazed that they have grown so quickly they have grown to the top of the soil so I have now filled it up again with compost is that correct or should I have left them until some more green had grown.  I think I may have planted them too early for Christmas as I have just read to plant the end of August so decided to buy a couple more.  

regards

Chris 

• I have grown seed potatoes in bags with varying success.  The first time I was really pleased because there. were lots of delicious potatoes.  Then decided I would do some for Christmas/New Year and had none at all(think this was because the wind broke the stalks)  This year the crop was smaller but the potatoes again were lovely.   I have always put the used soil on the garden and started with fresh.  Am now wondering if the small amount of potatoes is worth the effort.

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Chris-depending where you live July/August is the time to plant xmas spuds, plant them any later and the tubers don't have time to grow to a reasonable size before the first frost, earth them up as you would spring planted spuds. I planted mine in July and have started to earth up.

• Chris - mine are in you definitely need to get them in through August to have decent size for Xmas.  Lavenderlass don't give up weather has been rubbish - there's nothing quite like the tast of freshly dug potatoes!  Marypig it's good to use your potato compost for carrots - works really well and use any tomato growbags for salads.