London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
8 messages
19/04/2012 at 09:02

Hello, I am new to gardening, especially to growing vegetables.

I have 3 seeds of butternut squash hunter variety growing in pots inside next to my south facing window. They currently each have 3 leaves on. All was going well (watered regularly, liquid fed every week) however this week I noticed that the larger round leafs have started to develop yellow-white speckling (which is starting to darken in small areas) and the smaller, longer leaves are starting to curl at the edges.

Any suggestions of what could be going wrong? I have read on some forums that it could be mildew but I could say the speckling is powderary. 

Many thanks!!!

Stephanie

19/04/2012 at 12:54

I grew the Hunter variety last year and had some mildew probles but still fruited. I can't rember if the seed packet said mildew tolerent! I do think it too early to be feeding, I peronaly would feed them when they are quit big (not seedling size) or before fruiting starts. there are varietys withch are more tolerent to mildew but unforchantly wet weather promots the mildew

19/04/2012 at 13:13

also, the seedling leave will die off this is normal. the true leaves will be the next set of leaves has this got the spots on it? don't overwater

20/04/2012 at 08:59

The next set of leaves are just starting to come through, so far they look ok but I will keep an eye on them. Thanks for the advise! 

11/05/2012 at 17:08

Having similar troubles with B Squash leaves curling at edges though no spots. Seedling leaves dying off - I was once told that this happens when the plant is stressed. They are on the kitchen windowsill 2 plants per 4 inch pot waiting to be potted on. I don't think I've over-watered. Just wondered how yours are doing Stephanie17

10/06/2012 at 13:37
Of the 3 I originally grew from seed, only 1 is still alive. I tried to grow another 3 inside but only 1 germinated and isn't looking too happy. I tried putting some seeds directly in the ground outside but they aren't growing. So not very good! I don't think I over watered them, just kept them moist. It's my first attempt so i'll try again next year but hopefully the one still surviving will produce something!
10/06/2012 at 14:48

Hi  I have been growing butternut squash for a few seasons. I would sow twice as many plants as you think you need!  They are sensative to cold and overwatering when they are young. When you plant them out give them some cover. A plastic bottle with the bottom cut off is good. 

10/06/2012 at 18:27

Mine cheered up a lot when I potted them on into larger pots and moved them into the greenhouse. Not sure which thing they liked - maybe both. However, if we have a hopeless summer it will all be wasted effort. I wondered if it would be possible to try growing one of them entirely in the greenhouse - or would it take over the whole 8' by 6' !

email image
8 messages