Start a new thread

1 to 4 of 4 replies

Would anybody be able to explain what is happening to my potatoes as all of a sudden the leaves and stems have started to turn black and the plant seems to die.

I planted them about 2 months ago and they rocketed. A lot of them have flowers on them at this stage but whatever is happening is going through my whole lot.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Regards

Dovefromabove

Hi Mark 

It sounds as if it could be potato blight   Have a look here

http://rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?pid=217 

If you think that's the problem I'd remove all the foliage and bag and bin it.  Then harvest and use your potatoes as quickly as you can - they should be ok in the soil for a little while but they won't keep so enjoy eating them up.   More info on the link I gave.

Pottie Pam

Hi Mark,

I saw the first signs of blight on my early potatoes about ten days ago. Apparently it's striking early this year. It was just a few blotches on the leaves on mine.

I did as Dove said on cut all the leaves down to the ground and burnt the leaves. My family and I are eating the potaoes as fast as possible before the blight gets down into them but luckily there's a decent crop and they taste delicious.

Thanks for your good news! Looking at the above its blight alright.

I wonder if its because I have grown them in my poly tunnel and with the humidity in there, my spuds are more vulnerble??

Mark