London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
4 messages
22/06/2014 at 08:25

Would anybody be able to explain what is happening to my potatoes as all of a sudden the leaves and stems have started to turn black and the plant seems to die.

I planted them about 2 months ago and they rocketed. A lot of them have flowers on them at this stage but whatever is happening is going through my whole lot.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Regards

22/06/2014 at 08:44

Hi Mark 

It sounds as if it could be potato blight   Have a look here

http://rhs.org.uk/Advice/profile?pid=217 

If you think that's the problem I'd remove all the foliage and bag and bin it.  Then harvest and use your potatoes as quickly as you can - they should be ok in the soil for a little while but they won't keep so enjoy eating them up.   More info on the link I gave.

22/06/2014 at 09:02

Hi Mark,

I saw the first signs of blight on my early potatoes about ten days ago. Apparently it's striking early this year. It was just a few blotches on the leaves on mine.

I did as Dove said on cut all the leaves down to the ground and burnt the leaves. My family and I are eating the potaoes as fast as possible before the blight gets down into them but luckily there's a decent crop and they taste delicious.

22/06/2014 at 17:25

Thanks for your good news! Looking at the above its blight alright.

I wonder if its because I have grown them in my poly tunnel and with the humidity in there, my spuds are more vulnerble??

Mark

email image
4 messages