Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Protection for new apple tree?

I will be getting a new apple tree maiden (bare root) at the end of November.   I live on a residential street,  but in the countryside with lots of fields around me.  My husband says I don't need rabbit protection as rabbits are unlikely to hop down our street and even if they do, they will find plenty before they get to the apple tree.  I've seen pheasants walking down our street and I'm sure we have foxes so I don't see why rabbits can't.  What do others think?  I was thinking of just some wire mesh around the trunk.  I'm not worried about deer.

• treehugger80treehugger80 Posts: 1,923

you can get plastic tubes for rabbits and vole protection, commonly called rabbit spirals, but to be honest if you're on a residential street you should be fine without.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

I wouldn't worry Watery, deer would be more likely to offend, rabbits don't eat tree's. Make sure you stake the tree against wind rock, and leave it to grow.

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

Thanks for the responses. image The website (Orange Pippin Trees) says that rabbits love to eat apple tree bark.   Oddly I didn't even see a link to sell tree guards so I don't think they were just trying to see me something.