London (change)
Today 12°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 7°C
6 messages
07/11/2012 at 10:08

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice about my Chili plant. I'm not sure what variety it is, but it's been grown as an indoor plant. 

It's the first one I've owned. I did a little research about caring for chili plants over winter, and decided to prune it a couple of weeks ago. Although it might have been a bit early in the year to do so, I've recently moved from my parent's house to a much colder, less sunny flat. The plant also had an aphid infestation, it's second in two months, so I thought removing leaves would be a good idea.

However, it's already started growing new leaves. I am a bit worried about this and I'm not sure what to do. Obviosuly, pruning is supposed to help the plant save energy in the cold months, but my plant must be using lots of energy. Should I remove the new leaves? Also, I was wondering whether moving it to the kitchen, which is really cold, might be a good idea? There is less sunlight there too.

Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks very much, Georgia 

07/11/2012 at 10:43

Oh you are in a muddle

Firstly pruning has got nothing to do with saving a plant's energy-it is about shaping and removing dead or diseased material-and then what pruning also does is to stimulate growth-which is what you have now got

Plants need leaves to grow they they get a lot of food from sunlight and to turn that into growth-photosynthesis-so removing leaves is never a good idea either

You will always get an infestation of aphids-buy yourself a good household aphid/plant spray or as a quick cure swish the plant a round in a bowl of soapy water whilst holding the stem-don't drop it!

A chilli needs warmth and sunlight to grow-quite often they are treated as one year plants and started again from seed in February-keep yours on a sunny windowsill and see what you get

07/11/2012 at 10:51

Haha oh no...that's where too much internet research gets you, eh? Hopefully I haven't killed it. Hmm well, I guess I'll just leave it where it is, which is the sunniest windowsill I have, and hope for the best.

Thanks very much for your response!

08/11/2012 at 10:07

I will keep mine in the greenhouse and cover them with fleece when it gets really cold. Will cut them back next year when they start growing again. And i will keep my figers crossed that they will survive.

08/11/2012 at 10:14

Right, ok...cut them back when they start growing. Oops, my poor plant! - Seeing as it is growing all these new leaves in November already, do you think I should feed it?

Thanks!

08/11/2012 at 15:03

No, it shouldn't need food now, and you don't want to encourage it to grow more now as it'll go lanky.

There's also no need to prune it back in spring unless it is leggy - not everything needs pruning, you know!

email image
6 messages