London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
6 messages
22/06/2012 at 08:55

I have a Conference Pear tree in its third year. Last year it produced a lot of fruit. This year, little fruit more new growth. How and when should I prune.

Also I have, in their first year, a Victoria plum, with much growth a Cherry with much growth and a Braeburn Apple with about twenty apples and some growth. How and when should these be pruned.

Thank 

22/06/2012 at 22:50

Neither cherries nor plums are pruned regularly. Both are large trees with long branches; you get the long branches even on dwarfing rootstock. Any pruning that has to be done is done in summer in a dry and sunny period.

Pears and apples are generally pruned in winter, instructions here.

23/06/2012 at 08:09

Thanks Alina W

11/08/2013 at 17:33

I have a Bramley and Discovery apple.  should I summer prune now?

20/09/2013 at 00:33

Can I control growt on a plum tree, but have fruit next year. The tree is in a big pot.

20/09/2013 at 19:10

Theresa, yes, but not now as you risk introducing a disease know as silver leaf which is often fatal to the tree.  It's best to avoid pruning altogether if you can but if you must prune, do it when they are in growth in the Spring or Summer, never Autumn or Winter.  Restricting growth can be as simple as rubbing-off some buds at the right time.  If you need to remove long branches, you do that in Spring, but doing that will promote rapid new growth so you then prune this new growth back in the Summer.

Read through the RHS plum pruning advice below and see what best fits for your tree:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=339

email image
6 messages