London (change)
Today 15°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 7°C
6 messages
23/06/2012 at 15:34

Hello - I have grown a lemon tree in a pot from an ordinary lemon pip; it is now five years old and in need of pruning.  Would anyone have any suggestions on the best approach and time of year etc?  It is only small and has a lot of fresh growth and a lot of brown dead shoots.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Happy Growing

Our Wen

23/06/2012 at 15:49

They don't really need pruning, but you can certainly cut out any dead sections now, and trim any excessively long branches. If it is producing a lot of straggly branches, it probably needs a lighter position, such as outside for the summer.

31/08/2012 at 23:46

I have also grown mine from seed and now have two little healthy trees. They are only two years old. I am keeping them as house plants for now. Is there a chance they will produce fruit? How old does a lemon tree have to be before it could do this? Thank you!

01/09/2012 at 06:58

They can take up to 10 years or more, Flangie, with no guarantee they will fruit.

01/09/2012 at 07:02

I used to grow all sorts of citrus from seed and kept them in a big glazed porch over our back door - we never got any fruit, but the perfume from the flowers was wonderful - visitors always remarked on it.

Grapefruit were very successful, as were clemantines, but I think the children and I grew almost every type of citrus we could get in the shops and kept them as houseplants for some years - they eventually succumbed to red spider mite one year when I was ill with mumps and chickenpox!!!

01/09/2012 at 08:56

Thanks for that! We will keep them going and see how they do....watch this space in a few years!!

email image
6 messages