London (change)
Today 8°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 5°C / 2°C
5 messages
28/03/2013 at 22:53
I bought some small purple sprouting broc plants last September and followed a novel idea of planting them in grow bags in the greenhouse (maybe from a GW mag?). Anyway, they look lovely and are very leafy, but as yet no heads. Should I be harvesting them by now? Did the greenhouse provide too mild conditions? Any advice appreciated!
28/03/2013 at 23:22
They take a long time to produce heads but you should get some by the end of this summer. They don't really need to be in a greenhouse so if you need the space just drag the grow bags out (make sure you harden them off first though).
29/03/2013 at 10:51

I think they're probably getting too much tlc in that greenhouse - they usually produce their flowering shoots (the bits we want to eat) after a good cold winter!

29/03/2013 at 21:36
Thanks both, you just saved them from the compost bin. I'll try hardening them off and move them outside, need the space for my toms anyway!
30/03/2013 at 10:37

I sowed some purple sprouting broccoli last year and planted them out in the veg. bed in Sept. They have been outside all winter with no protection and are fine strong plants.

I have had my first two small pickings from the plants this last couple of weeks. They have lots of heads forming to grow on.

I suspect you have been too kind to your plants, get them outside, in the garden but protect from slugs etc.

email image
5 messages