Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Q about transplanting fruit bushes...

Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

I've grown some cuttings at home and have some well established bushes to transplant of gooseberry and currant to the allotment, all except the black currant have been picked and pruned back.

The cuttings are in their second year. I've four established bushes approx 3 to 4 years old and good croppers. Then more bushes on the allotment which were bought and planted out in March this year.

Can they be transplanted now or would I need to wait till the autumn...

Also the ground isn't prepared and wants digging over but has been covered with black plastic. Whats the best start for newly planted fruit bushes...when I first planted them it was on a wing and a pray...image  

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Are they in pots or in the ground at the moment Zoomer?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

All in the ground.  

The cuttings, once established were planted in the ground last October time 2013,  in a nursery bed, cut Sept/Oct 2012 into pots, these weren't huge then but as big now as the one's bought for the allotment if not bigger. The allotment one's were planted out in March/April this year.