London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
17 messages
19/10/2013 at 21:20

Hi,

I am a fan of quince jelly, and thought I might grow a quince tree on my allotment, the problem is I have no idea of how to care for a quince tree, has any one got any hints or tips to help me?

Thank you.

19/10/2013 at 23:45

Hi Allotmentmad, quinces need a long growing season and some protection in more northern climes so it depends on where you are.  RHS advice is here:

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Fruit-A-to-Z/Quinces-(1)

19/10/2013 at 23:48

That link might not work and the site edit button isn't working, so try this instead:

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=298

20/10/2013 at 13:47

thats brilliant - thank you for your help. do you think it will grow ok in the midlands - where I live.

21/10/2013 at 12:01

We are in Devon and our quince tree is doing very well. But they do get quite big, with long, spreading branches, and it might be a bit much for an allotment after a few years. We love it as a garden tree, as it's one of the first to come into leaf and the last to lose its foliage, as well as having pretty blossom and, in a good year, quinces. Ours just grows in the lawn in a reasonably sunny spot, with no special care.They don't even need regular pruning.

If you know anyone who has a quince tree, ask them how their crop is and they'll probably give you some - it's been a very good year for quinces here (unlike last year, when there were none!).

22/10/2013 at 13:34

Can you grow it in a pot?

23/10/2013 at 18:41

I have a Vranja in my orchard which is about 10 years old and 25 ft high. It's in heavy clay and a sheltered spot, and produces a modest but not bountiful crop of around 40-50 fruits each year. It gets some shade from nearby hawthorns. I have pruned it once to try to improve the shape because it's a vigorous grower. Nice pink flowers in May.

24/10/2013 at 10:08

Yes, ours is Vranja. I think if you wanted to grow one in a pot you'd need a more compact variety, as Vranja is quite vigorous.

24/10/2013 at 10:54

Can you eat the fruit from Japanese quince? I've had a very good crop this year & they are a beautiful golden yellow now - do you need to wait until after the first frost to pick them or is that just for medlars?

24/10/2013 at 14:36

Yes, you can eat them but you really need to cook them or do something with them, they're too hard otherwise. I've picked all mine and am just enjoying the scent at the moment. I'll make jelly with them.

24/10/2013 at 14:38

Some said on GW on Firday that a vigorous rootstock is better for growin in a pot. Ther logic made sence.

24/10/2013 at 22:49

Thanks Jim Macd - I'll search for some recipes!

25/10/2013 at 07:15

I use quince - both the large 'tree' variety and the shrubby Japanese ones, when pot-roasting pheasant.  Just chop one into quarters and pop them into the slow-cooker for the day with some veg and a little cider and a pheasant.  At the end of the day stir a little cream into the juices (whizz with a whizzer if wanted) to make a lovely sauce and there you have it.  Pheasant Normande - ish 

17/04/2014 at 20:08

I have a 4 year old Quince 'Vranja'. It produced 3 fruit the first year after planting. Last year not even blossom and this year nothing.. Am I impatient, or should the bloosm have appeared by now?(mid-April)

17/04/2014 at 20:15

A lot depends on where you are.  Our tree has just put on leaves in the last week, and the blossom is only just starting to appear.  But the environment is favourable, warm and sheltered, despite being in the Midlands, so other areas could easily be a bit behind. 

17/04/2014 at 20:44

They do not like be pruned ,like a lot of water,and I love making Quince jelly .

Yesterday at 07:49

Our quince tree has leaves, and the flowers are now in bud but not full blossom - this is in Devon, in quite a mild spot. We had a good crop of fruit last year, although most of the blossom doesn't set to fruit.

email image
17 messages