Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

raised beds

Hi new to this I live in west wales  and just over the road workmen are clearing a wood for  new houses. Would the top soil and leaf mould be any good for starting new raised beds?.

• Hiya philippa I have approximately 3 cubic metres I'm half way through riddling it there's plenty of leaf mould and the soil is really fine when screened. It smells really nice going next week to get a huge trailer load of  seaweed should this be ok for raised beds for next year? Thanks mike.

• Cor Mike, how lucky are you! Sad about the wood, but at least some of it will be put to good use image

I agree with Phillipa image
  • Thanx bekkie going for it next year. Lol hope to keep you all updated ok

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Just a thought about your seaweed Micheal - I think it needs to be rotted down before use - just like FYM - because of the salt content, unless you intend spreading it in the beds and leaving it over winter. Perhaps someone else can advise you on that.  Not sure how much of it you'd use either,  but like FYM, I expect you can use it quite liberally if it's well rotted image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Hello fairygirl just seen ur message I've done a lot of research into seaweed you can put it straight .on . The amount of salt is negligible plus it deters slugs which is a big bonus . Thanx for your input much appreciated. Mike 

• I used to live near a nuclear power station in Lancashire. When I was on the trawlers used to trawl of Sellafield  for prawns did that for 30 plus years although I do have a bit     of  a  halo . Lol  if  you access to seaweed go for it very good for potatoes 

• Philippa enjoy girl let me know how they were. Missing em since being in Wales and not on the boats anymore. Lol

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Like philippa I've only used liquid seaweed feed, so it's good to know that it's for use straight away Micheal image

I may take a trip to the seaside soon then....image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • If you go to get some seaweed  try to get the bladder wrak the one with the bubbles chop it up in a tub with garden shears then spread it over the  ground like a mulch. 

• Hello

In the past, I have laid seaweed out on our gravel drive and allowed the rain to wash off any residual salt and then laid the seaweed on top of the soil over winter. It had disappeared into the soil (by natural processes) by spring leaving the soil ready to plant into!

Good luck!