London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 14°C
4 messages
17/01/2013 at 12:08

I'm planing on making a raised herb garden this year and wonder what plants/flowers make good companions?

17/01/2013 at 12:12
I have a raised triangular herb bed on my deck which has been brilliant now for past 3 years , I have beds at the back with geranium and also pots beside with chives , morning glory, nicotiana etc so get plenty of buzzing visitors.
19/01/2013 at 05:18

Raised bed gardens are great for vegetable and herb gardens, as well as flower gardens. Even fruits such as strawberries, grapes, blueberries and raspberries, also do very well in a contained raised bed.

19/01/2013 at 22:23

It's good idea to consider whether you are growing herbs just as companion plants, for cooking or both. There are some perennial herbs which grow well here in the UK,  some herbs can be planted in flower beds and most people wouldn't know they were herbs, and there are others which need to be  sown annually.

I grow basil along side toms as it's supposed to improve the taste and  grow coriander which is allowed to bolt purely because I like the smell when you brush past it but also use it in curries and the seeds store well. Chives are good in lots of dishes and produce nice lilac flowers. 

Bookwormy. It would help to know which herbs you want to grow...which flowers do you want to grow and are you growing veg...

email image
4 messages