London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
3 messages
03/01/2014 at 23:39

I inherited a patch of raspberries (summer fruiting) when I took on my allotment 5 yrs ago. They have fruited prolifically each year apart from last summer when the crop was much reduced. Was this just not the year for raspberries or do I need to do something? Any advice? Should I dig them up in Feb and rejuvenate the soil before replanting them? Do they need replacing completely? Thanks. 

04/01/2014 at 15:53

I am in the same position as you. Inherited a large assortment of raspberries in a cage when I took over my plot.

We have been picking them from June to December!  New raspberry varieties have been introduced each year and also planted blackberry and loganberry as well in fresh ground. Our criteria is any part producing inferior crops 2 years running get the chop. It is very difficult to keep the old beds weeded, so it gives an opportunity to clean up the ground. Fertilizer is applied in spring.

04/01/2014 at 16:58

You could take some cuttings from them. Raspberries will root quite quite readily if you dont want to go to the expense of buying new canes.

If you want to replace them, crocus have an offer on at the moment, about £8 for 5 canes.

If you dig them up you will have to rejuvenate the soil the soil first.

email image
3 messages