Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Raspberries

Hello,

We have inherited a rather untidy raspberry bed with our new home. We planned to dig up most and replant some of the canes along with other varieties in more uniform rows so they are easier to harvest and we have a longer season. However, after a visit to a local garden centre we read a raspberry plant label and it stated that it is essential that raspberries, and anything from the Rubus family, should not be planted where the same genus has been grown before. We have researched but can't seem to find the same advice....can anybody advise?

Thank you, Steve

• Hi Edd,

Thank you for your response. We weren't convinced either particularly as we couldn't find it anywhere else. We'll just crack on with our original plan! Thanks again.

• Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,995

I think it's akin to the idea of crop rotation.  The soil in that location has been used for raspberries for x amount of years, building up disease in the soil and using up particular nutrients favored by raspberries.  Saying that, I think that if you bulk up the soil with well rotted manure/compost.. I imagine you'd be fine, particularly as the current raspberries are healthy.  

Utah, USA.
  • Thanks Blue Onion. We will give it a go and if for what ever reason they don't work out we will move them to a new location.