Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Raspberries

I have limited space in my veg patch and wondered whether I would be able to grow raspberries and other soft fruit such as blackcurrants and gooseberries against a fence which gets about 4/5 hours sunshine a day.  I do not want to utilise one of my raised beds for soft fruit as I use them for crop rotation year on year.  Are there any particular varieties that might do better against a fence than others.  Any assistance gratefully received.

• chicachica Posts: 252

hi lorrainspoona i have always grown autumn raspberries against a fence you just plant them around six inches from fence and cut them down to the ground around feb or march and they dont need any staking,blackcurrants grow into a big bush unless you prune them also gooseberries you plant them the same as the rasberries and i always cut about one third off every march it keeps them small and the fruit are much bigger but not so many of them good luck.

• Hi Chica, thank you very much indeed for very helpful advice - hoping for a bumber crop ..image

• ShuvShuv Posts: 18

Just watch out for the runners from raspberries, I planted some along the edge of my garden a few years ago and they have been driving me mad as they are coming up in all my nearby veg beds!

• I will watch out for that, thank you.