London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
15 messages
08/06/2014 at 22:29

I think I May have a mixture of autumn and summer fruiting rasps, is it ok to grow them together??   Some canes have lots of unripened berries on at the mo which were last years newbies and other canes literally appeared in the last 6 weeks and are 4ft tall without flower are these autumn ones??   

08/06/2014 at 22:33

Yes, the ones with the fruit are your summer ones and the ones that are growing will be your autumn ones.

You can grow them together but keeping them in order might be a bit of a bore. The summer ones will be cut down after they have fruited while the autumn ones won't be cut down for a couple of months more. Then the summer ones will be growing up to get canes made for next year while you still have the old autumn ones waving around above your head. Tying in is not easy when you have two different things going on at the same time.

08/06/2014 at 22:34
08/06/2014 at 22:35

I grow both types of raspberry but in different plots.

08/06/2014 at 22:44

Thanks, I'm going to lift  the new autumn canes & reposition :0) can I do that now? 

08/06/2014 at 22:48

Can't see why not. May need TLC.

08/06/2014 at 23:11

It sounds like you have all autumn fruiters, also called primocanes.  

last year's canes will have fruited in autumn,you cut the fruited tips off and they fruit again now, and then you cut out the old cane to the ground..I have these, I think they are  called terrylouise. The new canes will fruit in autumn,and the process continues.

I think if you try to separate them, you will lose the autumn crop.

Last year's canes will be Brown, the new canes will be green.

You could also prune all fruited canes down to the ground in winter, but I like to get two crops off each cane.

08/06/2014 at 23:23

Terri Louise has been superseded by its offspring Joan j which is also primocane and is treated the same way.

10/06/2014 at 12:46

Hi, can some one help me with my raspberries. I have grown Summer fruits for many years so know exactly how to prune them. I need help with my autumn raspberries which I started last year. I have about X10 bushes. I pruned them at the start of the year and they grew well and I have lots of berries....all looks good, they are about 2-3 feet tall. In the last three weeks though I have had a massive growth spurt of new canes, these are really big, they are about 5-6 ft tall, and do not look as though they are going to stop growing! They have no buds on them just leaves. What do I do with these?? Is it a case that they will produce flowers and fruit this year? I am just worried that these new rampant stems are taking all the nourishment from the plant, and then the fruits that are on the older canes on the 2-3 ft tall ones will not ripen? Can I cut these tall canes? I do not know what to do?? and would be grateful for any advice. Thank you for your help. Urszula

10/06/2014 at 12:55

The new canes will fruit in the autumn - they won't have flowers yet.

You have two options with pruning autumn-fruiting canes.  

If you prune them as you do your summer-fruiting raspberries the older canes will fruit earlier and the new canes will fruit in the autumn, but the fruit size will be reduced.

I follow the second method and prune every cane of  my autumn-fruiting raspberries down to ground level in the winter - usually Feb - they will then throw up lots of new canes in the spring which will produce large fruits in the autumn.

I hope that's helpful 

10/06/2014 at 13:11

If you prune the new canes now,you will lose the crop, they will flower and fruit this year.

If you just want autumn fruiters, do as dove says.

The canes that fruit in autumn will refruit in June if the fruited  tips are taken off in winter.

10/06/2014 at 18:04

Dear Dovefromabove and fidgetbones, thank you so much for your advice. I will leave the the tall new canes and wait for flowers. I will leave them and then cut them all down in Feb. I think last year I cut them down before Xmas. They came up quite early this year and those early canes have the flowers and now the fruits. Now I have the second lot of canes coming up. Hope fully if I leave them all until February to prune then they will all come up at the same time. Thank you again for your help. I am pleased that I was tempted to ask rather than prune straight away. Take care urszula

10/06/2014 at 23:34

I have some Autumn Bliss and I got confused with the pruning over the winter, ended up pruning them to about 6" above ground.

Was I supposed to prune back to ground level later?

I have some growth from the stumps of the old canes and other growth from completely new canes.

I was confused when some flowers appeared a while ago and was just about to ask about it when I found this thread. I'll need to go and look at them but I'm guessing from this that the flowers are on the growth from the old canes - would that be right?

So, similar to Ursula, I presume if I just cut them all to ground level in February that would get everything back in sync for the future?

10/06/2014 at 23:36

Yes.

10/06/2014 at 23:55

Thanks!

email image
15 messages