London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
7 messages
22/07/2013 at 11:02

Planted new this year 3 raspberry plants and orginally each plant had five 9 inch long bare canes - these have now sprouted off and fruited yaay!! Lots of new canes have grown in and around the original canes - my question is after fruiting what do I do to the old canes and the new ones?  I have tried to find out myself but have got completely confused by information over load  !! can anybody put it very simply for me please

22/07/2013 at 11:28

if they have fruited now you need to cut down to the ground the canes you have had fruit from, tie in the new canes to a frame of some sort and if your in a very exposed place you might need to shorten the new canes a bit, try not to let the clumps get too bushy they need air and sun keep them thined out you will have less fruit not more by having the canes so close together. you can wait a while before you do it 

hope this helps mine have just started to ripen so i am trying to get them before the birds

22/07/2013 at 11:32

Great thanks that really helps.

22/07/2013 at 11:40

These sound as though they might, just might, be autumn fruiting raspberries.

If that is the case the old canes should have been cut to the ground in early Spring.

I think we need to know the variety to give correct advice.

22/07/2013 at 11:44

Not sure of variety, no tag as purchased from carboot? they are still fruiting at the moment?

22/07/2013 at 12:57

hi sound like early summer fruiting so finish collecting fruit then as littleann said cut old canes down leave about 9ins cut this of.f next spring close to ground dont forget tie new canes up for next year

23/07/2013 at 16:58

Thanks- will they need feeding or mulching at all ? 

email image
7 messages