London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
10 messages
11/01/2013 at 10:10

I was planning on trying to grow raspberries this year, but note that they like a slighty acid soil, to be sheltered from the wind and need constant moisture.  I do not have any cages but was going to plant in a 6' x 4' raised bed in full sun in a fairly alkaline soil, which is in a fairly exposed site.  Any varieties which you could suggest and whether this growing position is suitable would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks, Lorraine. 

11/01/2013 at 10:43

Do not get too hung up on the type of soil you have-they will be OK-you will need to provide some sort of structure to tie the canes too -but other than that they are relatively easy

I am not sure what modern varieties there are now-Autumn Bliss was always a good variety for autumn fruiting-there may be some more recent introductions for summer and autumn fruiters-someone will recommend.

11/01/2013 at 11:00

Thank you for your advice - I will try Autumn Bliss and I believe Glencove is anbother reliable fruiter.

11/01/2013 at 11:25

I planted autumn fruiting 'Polka' last year. They don't need a support frame. Had fruit up till end of November, and first year as well

11/01/2013 at 13:48

Definitely go for Polka. They don't need any canes to support them, they fruit well and are easy to look after. You just chop them down to ground level every february. 

12/01/2013 at 09:41

I was reading up on Polka  - some sites recommend not cutting the old canes down until the following summer, which allows them to produce two crops - one on previous years canes in early summer, then a late summer crop on the new canes.  Has anyone tried this?

12/01/2013 at 12:26

I have 3 polka. I have cut 2 down, but left one to see what happens

12/01/2013 at 16:53
Dovefromabove wrote (see)

I was reading up on Polka  - some sites recommend not cutting the old canes down until the following summer, which allows them to produce two crops - one on previous years canes in early summer, then a late summer crop on the new canes.  Has anyone tried this?

Yes, I do this with some of my Autumn fruiting varieties - it gives you an early summer crop.  I wouldn't do it to all of the canes though, as there's a chance the late crop wouldn't develop in a bad year.  I leave canes which came up late and didn't fruit uncut and only cut down those that have fruited at the recommended time.  Works well.

12/01/2013 at 18:01

Thanks - I've bought myself some Polka canes in pots - will plant them against the south facing fence when I get a chance. Seems like I'll have to make a decision this time next year 

14/01/2013 at 19:55
Sorry I'm a little late with this but Unwins have a special offer on for Raspberries at the moment, 18 canes for around ??17.90. 6 Polka canes, 6 Cascade Delight and 6 Tadmor, the Cascade are early fruiting, the Tadmore mid-season and Polka mid to late fruiting.

http://www.unwins.co.uk/raspberry-long-cropping-collection-x18-pid6167.html
email image
10 messages