Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

re-using compost in containers

Once a crop of raddish and leaves has been picked from a container where a good quality multi purpose compost has been used, can this compost be used again for another crop (of the same) and how many times can it be reused? 

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I would use it again for radishes. When used for bedding plants I change the top 6 inches and give long lasting fertiliser pellets. But radishes don't need a rich soil or they grow lots of leaf at the expense of radish. But I don't know how often you can do it.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

If you have some home made compost take of the top of the container and mix some in with a little organic fertiliser then put it back. You should get a season of salad crop, cut and come again or small roots, it is what I have done for years, it works for me.

Frank

• greenjudegreenjude Posts: 64

Which?Gardening did a trial about 2 years ago and found it ok to re-use. They just fluffed it up and added slow-release fertiliser. I've been doing it for years and I've never had a problem. Do look out for pests like vine weevil though.

• MidgetgemMidgetgem Posts: 7

Thanks everyone. 

• Thanks for asking this midgetgem ???? was going to ask the same sort of question myself. Always handy to know ?????? X