15 messages
04/05/2013 at 06:17

planted red onions sets14th april there is only 1 coming through the soil,do you think there is something wrong.

04/05/2013 at 09:47

If one's up the others should follow soon. You did leave the onion tips poking up above the earth didn't you?

05/05/2013 at 06:48

no, I take it I should have, new to veg growing any tips welcome thanks

05/05/2013 at 06:52

Should I take some soil away from top?

05/05/2013 at 07:52

How deeply did you plant them, bluejan? Unless you absolutely smothered them they should emerge.

05/05/2013 at 08:50

Bluejan

Yes gently move some soil away and check onions are still there.  The soil has been cold and things are moving now. You want the tips of the onions to be slightly above soil level.  I expect them to be showing green shoots now or soon

For first time I'm growing onion PLANTS.  Put them in last week and they are growing fast. Have high hopes for them.....seed sown onions are superior to sets...in my opinion

05/05/2013 at 11:21

On this theme, I have had Shallots and Red Onion sets in cells which I intend planting out.....some of the shoots are now 6inches! I wasnt expecting them to be this long and cant plant out coz of the weather up here, still cold and raining constantly. Should I clip the shoots before planting out? Have they been in the cells too long? 

Thanks for any advice

05/05/2013 at 16:13

uncovered them this morning can see most of them no sign at all of some, don't no where they have gone.

05/05/2013 at 19:13

looks like they have rotted plant some more wih the tips above the soil .i start mine  in plastic modules . and the red onions are slower than the whites . good luck . and keep the faith

06/05/2013 at 00:11

Brycey D - your onions are fine and growing well, onions aren't clipped back, just wait till the soil is warm enough in your area to plant out, I'm in the NW and mine went out weeks ago but I'm in a sheltered spot.

Check to see if the roots are coming out of the bottom of your modules, if not then they aren't root bound and should be ok.

06/05/2013 at 10:35

Thankes Zoomer, had a look and there are roots coming through...tell me all is not lost! Do you think I can rescue them by planting out?

Cheers

06/05/2013 at 22:07

all is not lost. I'm confident they'll still be OK with some roots coming through.

Is it still fairly cold in Glasgow.

After mine went out they had a couple of nights of frost but are still OK. Plant them out and if frost is forecast cover them with fleece.   

06/05/2013 at 22:16

Mine went out on April 14th - last day before foot op so they had to go in - and are only just shooting now.  We've had some frost but also some very dry weather so i watered them on Friday and bingo, shoots.   I still have half the packet to plant but they'll just have to wait another week or so till I'm mobile again.

09/05/2013 at 19:36

Great folks, I'll get them out this weekend and hopefully they'll be sorted

09/05/2013 at 23:32

I hope your foot op went well obelixx and it isn't too painful. I hope the garden waits for you, anyway sounds as though it won't be very long.

email image
15 messages