London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
8 messages
28/11/2013 at 21:55

I have just been given a rhubarb crown. Can I plant it in the ground now? I have some leaf mould from last years leaves. Shall I mulch it?

28/11/2013 at 22:00

Yes, prepare the ground and plant it now and mulch it with your leaf mould, leaving the tip of the crown, the growing points, uncovered. 

28/11/2013 at 22:26

Rhubarb is a hungry plant and will need some well rotted compost or better still well rotted farm yard manure dug in to the bed before planting.

28/11/2013 at 22:47

Yes, the more goodness you can incorporate at planting time the better your rhubarb will be.  In spring fish blood n bone and a further mulch will help too.  Keep well watered next year but do not pick the crop.

29/11/2013 at 09:08

The best advice I can give to a new rhubarb planter is to plant it in an open sunny situation.

Far too many people stick it by an old hedge or near trees. It needs light and water!

As to planting advice you will get zillions of suggestions and most of them will work!

Don't weaken it by eating any rhubarb next year!

02/12/2013 at 23:38
Naive query - sorry. But what happens to the leaves you don't pull in that first year? Do you just leave them to die down or do you have to remove them later or...?
03/12/2013 at 08:53

Leave them to die down in the autumn, all the goodness in the leaves goes back into the crown to build it up which is what you want.  Just remove any that go rotten and slimy.  

Then in the next year I only pull about a third of the stalks there are on the plant at one time and don't pull any after the beginning of June, again, allowing the crown to build up.  

In the following years I pull a few more but always remembering that the more you leave the stronger the crown will be in the future. 

06/12/2013 at 21:23

Many thanks to you all for your good advice. I have planted it and added my leaf mould from last year. Fingers crossed! 

email image
8 messages