London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 21 messages
17/10/2012 at 11:25

I put in new rhubarb crowns last October (2011). They came on very well and I even got some usable rhubarb during the summer/autumn this year.

My question is:- Should I pull out all the growth now that the season is over or should I just let it die back? 

17/10/2012 at 14:35

I would let it die back and then put the leaves on the composr heap. Mines been going for 5 years and is still producing masses. I havent fed it but it is by the compost heap so i guess its getting enough from there

17/10/2012 at 17:20

Let it die back naturally so the energy from the stems goes back in to the crown, just pick up and throw away/compost any bits that fall off over winter. I've mostly left mine this year as I want to dig it up and divide it in the Spring for new plants, either then or I'll leave it if I spot a special offer for new 'barbs somewhere. 

19/10/2012 at 16:34

we have covered it leaves and all in manure and over the winter an old carpet  this was the advise from all the allotmenteers hope its right

21/10/2012 at 20:47

Wrong no carpet  im told by the Rhubarb expert,, cover with manure and leave it as origanaly Rhubarb came form outer Mongolia or somewhere very cold and the plant is the type that has to have at least 2 weeks cold so the carpet is a NO,NO there apparantly is a name for plants taht need cold spells it begins with D but i forgot what he said it was  So sorry and good luck

Alan4711

23/10/2012 at 10:18

Onions and garlic need that word  as well but i cant remember it either

23/10/2012 at 14:15

mum used to say i,d forget my head if it was loose,,,,,memory and me dont get on

23/10/2012 at 16:32

My rhubarb has been in place for 12 or 14 years and until they stop producing so much fruit, I shall leave well alone. I usually surround the rhubarb with well rotted manure about now but don't cover the crowns.

17/06/2013 at 15:41

New question! What makes rhubarb bolt/go to seed in the middle of the growing season?

27/06/2013 at 12:26

rhubarb needs lots of water and I have heard that it bolts due to lack of water. try givng  lots daily!  Mags 

28/06/2013 at 12:47

Thanks for the advice! Looking forward to eating lots rhubarb! =) I'm a newbie to this and found this tool really useful if you just get started in gardening. http://www.coblands.co.uk/knowledge-base/plant-finder

10/07/2013 at 21:31

I also have new rhubarb.  Two plants.  I only got two sticks of rhubarb on each.  Is this normal for the first year.  Should the crowns be under the soil or above.

14/07/2013 at 22:12

Is now the time of year yto buy nd transplant a rhubarb crown if not when should iot bedone.

15/07/2013 at 07:46
Sue Shoebridge wrote (see)

I also have new rhubarb.  Two plants.  I only got two sticks of rhubarb on each.  Is this normal for the first year.  Should the crowns be under the soil or above.

Perfectly normal - you shouldn't take a crop from rhubarb in it's first year - water it well, mulch around it with farm yard manure - hopefully it will grow more stalks this year but as I said, leave them to die down on the plant.

Next year you can take a light crop from them, but I wouldn't pick after June to allow the crown to build up.

Crowns should be poking through the soil.

I would buy and plant rhubarb in the late autumn or early spring, just as the plant is begining to come out of winter dormancy. 

25/08/2013 at 20:41

is it ok to buy a rhubarb crown from a garden centre and plant it out now or should I wait untill late September /October

25/08/2013 at 20:50

If it's in a pot then you can just turn it out and plant it now. Make sure that the little crusty bits are a little bit above the soil level. They rot if they get too low in the ground. Water it well and give it some mulch, keeping the mulch away from the crown by a few inches.

25/08/2013 at 21:12

Many thanks for replying so quickly.

I read that I should add manure to the ground prior to planting.     Am going to Spain next weekend for a week and was consisdering picking up some horse manure tomorow and digging that in and then leaving it to plant the rhubarb when I get home.    Would that help?

25/08/2013 at 21:54

Sounds good to me - but make sure the manure is well-rotted and not fresh, otherwise it'll scorch the roots.  

25/08/2013 at 21:57

the rhubarb in thepot might need water during the week if it's hot

25/08/2013 at 22:00
Alan4711 wrote (see)

there apparantly is a name for plants taht need cold spells it begins with D but i forgot what he said it was  So sorry and good luck

Alan4711

That'll be dormancy Alan 

1 to 20 of 21 messages