Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

rhubarb

i planted a rhubarb crown last autumn and it has done very well we have eaten lots in pies and crumbles and some in the freezer, i know not to pull it all in its first year but when should i stop, how long will it keep growing

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Stop now, many people say you should not pull after June, but most rhubarb was late this year because of the dark wet start to the year.  Stop now, and give the plant the rest of the year to gather strength, mature its roots and dig down for the winter.  It will then shoot up next year for more pies, crumbles, jam etc. yummy!

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

thanks for that bookertoo i was going to pull some this morning but i will leave it alone now

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

So, is feeding now a good idea, Bookertoo?

• Just pulled my last lot of rhubarb, it hasnt stopped growing. Mine is next to the a compost heap so is enjoying that as well as all the rain. It gets bigger year after year and i really dont do anything to it

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

We have lots of rhubarb and it's been really juicy this year with all the rain but i'm finding now that stems are getting a bit woody and that's the time to stop and let the plant rest and recuperate.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • clogherheadclogherhead Posts: 506

this is my second year growing Rubarb ,just picked some lovely long red sticks . At the end of September put some well rotted cow muck around the stool but not touching the crown and lightly fork into the soil,

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Thanks Derek. I hope horse and/or chicken muck will be just as acceptable.

• little-annlittle-ann Posts: 878

thank you all for the info