London (change)
Today 19°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
9 messages
21/04/2013 at 18:49

Hello, please can anyone help.

Today I picked rhubarb from my garden. I noticed some of the leaves have gone brown and yellow. Has anyone notice this on their Rhubarb leaves.

Also when I picked some rhubarb, (which had green leaves ) I noticed that the crown end of the stick had a clear glue like substanes dripping from it. I have not experienced this before and am wondering if this liquid is dangerous? Could there be something wrong with the Rhubarb plant?

Thanks for your help

Kate

21/04/2013 at 21:11

Kate, I can't help you with your leaves, sorry, but when I pick my rhubarb I do get a small amount of sticky clear drippy stuff.

22/04/2013 at 06:25

Some of my rhubarb leaves have gone brown at the edges - I'm putting it down to the cold weather - mine is under a forcing pot and I've had several pickings and we're both still alive and healthy so don't worry, it'll be fine - and the dripping sap is fine too - perfectly normal.

Enjoy your crumble - and if you want another recipe try this one http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10500/  it's easy to make, is absolutely delicious, eat it as a cake or a pudding - I've made 3 this spring already!!!

22/04/2013 at 10:15

Thanks for the link Dove - always welcome a cake / pudding recommendation  

Will give it a go when my newly planted rhubarb gets established - or maybe raid my parents garden in the meantime!

28/10/2013 at 17:26

I'll resurect this thread rather than start another one.

I recently planted a rhubarb crown that I had got from my parents. It had been in a pot for a few weeks since being dug up and brough to me. A few leaves grew in the meant time and after planting another 1 sprouted.

I then prepared a bed next to it and since then the leaves have started to yellow and I have lost 2 of them with a third looking bad. Whilst preparing the bed the leaves did get covered a little, but I was quick to uncover them, although I think the yellowing spread from where it had been in contact with the soil. The bed was prepared with a mix of topsoil and farmyard manure, is it likely this did the rhubarb no good?

The garden is not the driest at the moment and although I have worked in some compost and topsoil the bed the rhubarb in is very heavy. Has it got trenchfoot?

Is there any hope for it, or do I need to talk nicely to my folks.

28/10/2013 at 18:56

BT just look at everything else in your garden. They are all dying back at this time. This is probably all that is happening to the rhubarb. Also you just replanted it so it has had a bit of a shock. I find that rhubarb is virtually indistructable. When I got mine in 1985 they had been dug up waiting for me to collect for a few weeks. That was mid winter. Planted them in a similar fashion to you but less topsoil. Still going strong 38 years later after 3 moves. Don't panic till springtime. Say nothing to the parents yet, think if the christmas presents you'll lose out on. Let us know in March.

28/10/2013 at 20:45

It'll be fine BT - it's just dying down 'cos it's autumn - mine's doing the same.  The soil and FYM mix sounds perfect.  I wouldn't harvest any rhubarb next spring - just a good mulch with some more manure (around, not over the crown) and then in spring 2015 you can start harvesting your rhubarb - it'll be fabulous 

31/10/2013 at 08:58

Thanks for the replies, for some reason I didn't put the time of year and the yellowing together.

31/10/2013 at 20:23

That's called panic. Happens a lot of people(me) when they plant something different and are unsure of what to do next. Happy gardening.

email image
9 messages