London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
9 messages
09/07/2013 at 23:22

I'm growing Romanesco cauliflower for the first time this year.  The plants are doing really well (touch wood!) and are starting to form lovely little green spiky cauliflowers.  How big can I safely let them get before harvesting them?  If I wait too long will anything happen to them?  The reason I ask is that all the plants look like they are growing at the same rate and I may end up with a lot of them being ready all at once.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/27072.jpg?width=367&height=350&mode=max

09/07/2013 at 23:37

When the heads start to loosen up in preparation for turning into flowers you will know it's getting too late to eat them. Otherwise it's a glut and it's the time to start offering them to your friends/neighbours/passersby/bank manager etc!

09/07/2013 at 23:39

Thanks for that.  I will have to keep a close eye on them.

09/07/2013 at 23:52

luvverly caulis (as in "getcha luvverly caulis only a pahnd.."). No, really nice.

10/07/2013 at 06:44

I'd start using a few a bit before they're totally ready, that'll make the season longer and it won't feel like so much of a glut!  Lovely caulies - well done 

10/07/2013 at 14:18

I grew them using successional sowings a few years back and found they could take a bit of frost (unlike normal caulis), so worth trying that next time.

10/07/2013 at 21:13

Yes, in hindsight I really should have thought about successional sowing!

11/07/2013 at 06:55

I''m growing these for the first time this year.  Sowed them in modules and then planted them out.  The plants themselves look really strong and healthy but no signs of a cauli yet.  Am I likely to be unsuccessful as other growers are obviously ready to harvest? If so I might as well dig them up and use the ground for something else if I'm not going to get anything off them.

16/07/2013 at 21:49

I kept thinking that mine were never going to produce anything and then they suddenly started appearing.  I still have a few plants without a visible cauli yet so I would keep the faith for a bit longer.  I've been watering mine a lot every day.

email image
9 messages