Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Romanesco cauliflower

I'm growing Romanesco cauliflower for the first time this year.  The plants are doing really well (touch wood!) and are starting to form lovely little green spiky cauliflowers.  How big can I safely let them get before harvesting them?  If I wait too long will anything happen to them?  The reason I ask is that all the plants look like they are growing at the same rate and I may end up with a lot of them being ready all at once.

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,277

When the heads start to loosen up in preparation for turning into flowers you will know it's getting too late to eat them. Otherwise it's a glut and it's the time to start offering them to your friends/neighbours/passersby/bank manager etc!

• KoalagirlKoalagirl Posts: 225

Thanks for that.  I will have to keep a close eye on them.

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,277

luvverly caulis (as in "getcha luvverly caulis only a pahnd.."). No, really nice.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I'd start using a few a bit before they're totally ready, that'll make the season longer and it won't feel like so much of a glut!  Lovely caulies - well done image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

I grew them using successional sowings a few years back and found they could take a bit of frost (unlike normal caulis), so worth trying that next time.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.

Yes, in hindsight I really should have thought about successional sowing!

• TeenrbeeTeenrbee Posts: 57

I''m growing these for the first time this year.  Sowed them in modules and then planted them out.  The plants themselves look really strong and healthy but no signs of a cauli yet.  Am I likely to be unsuccessful as other growers are obviously ready to harvest? If so I might as well dig them up and use the ground for something else if I'm not going to get anything off them.

I kept thinking that mine were never going to produce anything and then they suddenly started appearing.  I still have a few plants without a visible cauli yet so I would keep the faith for a bit longer.  I've been watering mine a lot every day.