6 messages
14/07/2013 at 18:52

Hi, im a novice, turned some disused land into 6 raised beds. I planted Rooster potatoes at the beginning of May, they seem to be going well although I'm unsure of when to harvest and perhaps signs I need to look for to confirm they're ready.

Also, cylindrical onions, pulled one up today and it doesn't appear to be ready, can anyone suggest when these woud be ready, they were planted at the same time.

finally, I have a spare bed, and was wondering if I'd be able to plant some potatoes for Christmas, is now too late?

Can anyone help?

thanks

14/07/2013 at 22:43

Roosters are a main crop potato, so are unlikly to be ready for cropping  just yet. The foilage will start to go yellow and dies back when they are ready. No reason why you can't start to dig up the odd plant although the spuds won't be as big as those left to mature. Good news is there haven't been any blight alerts this year.     

1st and 2nd earlies are ripe for harvesting at present.

Christmas spuds can be planted now but are best grown in bags, the first frost will kill the plant, the skill in growing Chirstmas spuds to a reasonable size is being able to move the bag into a sheltered spot when frost is threatened and if you want to actually dig up spuds on Christams eve, you can't in open ground it's usually frozen. I had a bag froze one year and it was February before it defrosted.   

14/07/2013 at 23:14

Maincrop take 3-4 months from planting before harvest so you have a few weeks to go yet.

15/07/2013 at 08:36

Potatoes will flower and then die back.  Useless to pick before they flower

15/07/2013 at 13:46

There is no connection between the planting time of onions and potatoes.

The onions can be eaten before they are fully mature, but if you want to store them wait until the foliage falls over and withers naturally, then dry them for a further time undercover until the outer skin is fully dry. 

15/07/2013 at 20:55

Welshonion -wasn't sure what a cylindrical onion was and didn't like to ask .

John Foster, you'll find your onions will bulk up very quickly I thought mine were bolting a few weeks ago so picked all the red one's but just pulled off the flowering heads from the white one's, pleased to say they are now looking like real onions and not over sized spring onions. Have a little patience....not long to wait...      

email image
6 messages