6 messages
18/02/2014 at 13:23

I've just created two raised beds, each 4 feet by 4 feet.  I've designated one for brassicas and the other one for the rest.  I'm a bit worried that a two year rotation won't be enough to keep down pests/diseases.  Any experience?  I don't want to use less than one complete bed for brassicas, as I want to grow Chinese veg (Kailan, etc.) in addition to purple sprouting broccoli.

Thanks

Laura

18/02/2014 at 17:21

I don't think it should be too much of a problem Laura - practice good garden hygiene (removing dead foliage etc and weeds that can harbour pests) and mulch each year with well rotted farmyard manure and/or good homemade compost.  Should be fine.

18/02/2014 at 22:16

Thanks, Dove.  I'll do my best.  If the growing goes well this year, I might put in another bed anyway.

L

19/02/2014 at 21:35

Potatoes ideally prefer a three year rotation, but are a great follow on from the brassicas. 

19/02/2014 at 22:34

I'm not planning on potatoes - my current thoughts are to have one bed for brassicas, the other for peas, carrots salads, beetroot and turnips.

Thanks

Laura

20/02/2014 at 10:33

You have to go with what you like to eat - potatoes take a lot of room, and I'm meant to be watching my carbs!! although the rest of the family love them.  I grew perpetual spinach in my first year, but nobody else wanted to eat much of it, so I dug it all up.  If you are doing carrots, do what you can to avoid carrot fly.  I didn't have it in my first year, but got it the following year, and they can live on in the soil, so I have had to rotate where they go.  Would have been more sensible to take precautions not to get it in the first place, but I was over confident after the first year's successful crop!  It's so exciting though.  My husband took very little interest in my raised bed making at first, but once he started going out and helping himself to free veg, I had the last laugh.

email image
6 messages