London (change)
Today 23°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 15°C
4 messages
30/09/2013 at 09:09

I have 3 Rubin blackberries that are supposed to produce large fruit . They are 3 years old and so far I have had nothing . I haven't pruned them as they are supposed to be primo cane . Each year I get a flower or two at the top of plant , but it's now , which is far to late for a berry to grow and ripen . In the winter the canes get frosted and die . I usually cut them down in spring as they are dead anyway . The canes never get more than 3 ft high . I give them a good feed of manure each autumn and again in spring . Any advice would be most welcome . Thank you . 

30/09/2013 at 09:32

I'm confused because you say that you've not pruned them, then you say you cut them down in the spring   

Do you water them?  Cane fruit like raspberries and blackberries need plenty of water.

Primocane means that they fruit on the current year's growth so, like autumn-fruiting raspberries, they should be cut down to ground level in Jan/Feb.  Do that, give them some FB&B and plenty of water and you should have fruit next year.

30/09/2013 at 09:42

http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/blackberry-reuben/classid.2000018100/ has useful info on what to do. I think that the "soft-tip" treatment may help you get a better crop. I would also try leaving the primocanes for a second year as suggested.

30/09/2013 at 10:50

Thanks for the info. Will leave well alone. They do get plenty of water . 

email image
4 messages