London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
6 messages
28/08/2013 at 18:11

Hiya, 

next year I'm wanting to plant some runner beans but...

when should I start growing them and how? Can you put them in a little pot and let them come out in a leaf or?

thank you 

Lyn
28/08/2013 at 19:03

Set them in small pots or root grainers on the 1 st May, then plant out about mid June when the weather is warm. They grow to at least 7ft tall so need good well enriched ground and good stakes to climb up,  plant some nasturtuimsor similar to attract the bees, give them loads of water, they are very hungry plants.

28/08/2013 at 19:06

Hi Jessica, yes you can start them off in little pots - many of us do that to give them a head start.  I usually start them off in early-mid April.  I sow direct in the ground in early May.  Those times are not fixed though - so much depends on the weather.  They will not take any frost at all, so the danger is that late frosts will mean they have to be kept in the greenhouse longer than expected and can grow so much that they get tangled together.  When they get to that stage they rarely grow well when planted out.  My advice is to sow half the seeds in small pots and keep half until there is no longer any danger of a frost, then plant the remaining half of the seeds directly into the ground.  As an aside, doing that will also give you a longer cropping season.

KEF
28/08/2013 at 19:57

Hi Jessica, posters have given good advice about sewing dates. I would decide now where you want to put them and how to enrich your soil.

Some people dig bean trenches and put composted compost in, some dig trenches / holes, and put garden waste in it to rot over the winter / early spring.

I grow mine on wigwams, and always plant too many so I get a tangled mess.

In spring I empty a compost bin, add some Growmore / blood fish & bone, dig it in and put canes in a few weeks before beans are ready to go in.

I sew them depending on what sort of weather we are having.

This year I wanted to get a head start, and even sewing early in pots ( which I always do, I don't sew direct ) didn't help, once in garden they were slow to start growing, it wasn't warm enough. They had to go in garden because of size of them. So I'm picking them now at the same time as other years.

Next year I will try early again, hoping for good weather, but will also sew 2 lots. Early & normal time. 

Might sound daunting, but it's fun, going out each evening and gathering and thinking what do we have for tonight's meal as well as beans ..Grow some courgettes

28/08/2013 at 21:54

KEF, you're not the only one with a tangled mess, I can hardly find my beans!

http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30064.jpeg?width=512&height=350&mode=max

28/08/2013 at 23:06

Wow thank you guys we have some of my late grandads beans what he used to grow himself so should be fun growing them 

email image
6 messages