London (change)
Mon 17°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
13 messages
26/05/2014 at 14:54

Just planting out runner bean  seedlings, grown as instructions in pairs in small pot. Shouldthey be thinned to individual plants or left in pairsrot mature?

26/05/2014 at 14:55

Sorry post should read pairs to mature!

26/05/2014 at 15:12

If they both germinate, I always plant the pot as it is and get great crops.  You can guarantee that if you removed one, the slugs would get the one you left!

26/05/2014 at 15:35

Ah!  Never done that Bob.  So no reduction in cropping?  

26/05/2014 at 15:38

I grow mine in newspaper pots and planted them and pots straight into the ground on Saturday in the rain as they were getting rather big, (I got soaked by the way). I surrounded them with fleece and scattered slug pellets. Went to visit them today and they are romping away looking very healthy, glad that I got soaked now it was worth it.

26/05/2014 at 15:47

Hi Verdun, no reduction that I've noticed.  The trench is always very well prepared though, so plenty of room for them to find everything they need.

27/05/2014 at 18:54

I use hazel poles and usually plant two per pole.....poles 1ft apart. Yes, it does get to be a bit of a jungle in late summer, but I seem to have enough beans to feed the neighbourhood.

27/05/2014 at 19:06

I plant them two per cane - having sown the beans two to a pot in the GH.  They geminate quickly, I harden them off quickly, and then get them into the garden before they are too large (or intertwined) to handle.  Works for me.  Load of beans in the late summer, and neighbours have been known to disappear as I trot up the road with a "few" in my basket. 

KEF
27/05/2014 at 19:06

I plant one per pole and save some in reserve as the damn pigeons love them. I could net but usually the originals survive.  Might have to net this year as they appear greedy and twigs and sticks around beans aren't deterring them.

David K we've still got some in the freezer that we'd best eat or new crop won't seem special.

27/05/2014 at 19:30

I love that 'treasure hunt' for the beans when the foliage is in full summer growth and the mass of flowers really sets off the allotment. I grow one per cane normally 8" apart. So long as there is plenty of organic material worked into the soil and they are kept well watered and fed then 1 or 2 beans per pole does'nt really matter

27/05/2014 at 19:44

Never freeze them, KEF....would admit I've never quite got the hang of it, but they're orible when I do them.

27/05/2014 at 20:00

I use a frame that used to be a mini greenhouse till the plastic cover ripped. The beans grow through the shelves and around the outside. The unsightly frame is soon covered by foliage and flowers and then the beans. Works a treat.

28/05/2014 at 14:39

Love that idea Lilyanne - I shall steal it next year!

David:  I'm with you on that one:  frozen runner beans are 'orrible!  French beans aren't too bad though.

What I do with mine is to cut them up quite small: runners, French and also diced courgettes (from the inevitable glut).  They are quickly blanched, open frozen and then bagged as a summer veg mix.  I also add some commercially frozen peas and maybe sweetcorn.  Sometimes a few broad beans, too.

In the middle of winter, it's a treat to have a few mixed veg.  They can also be chucked into a veg. soup.  Or defrosted and drained to be added to cheese and veg quiche or potato,cheese & veg pasties.  No waste!

email image
13 messages