London (change)
Today 26°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
9 messages
20/07/2013 at 22:32

I have grown runner beans successfully for years in very big pots. Not so this year, unfortunately.  The stems that bear the flowers have grown unusually long and most of the flowers have dropped off. The beans (of a variety I've grown before) have been   well watered. Maybe someone will know what has gone wrong?  I'm so disappointed with them. 

21/07/2013 at 07:13

Have you tried misting the flowers?  That can sometimes help the flowers to set - the air will have been very dry recently.

Which variety are you growing?

04/08/2013 at 16:23

Ive had the same problem.  There are so fue beans on I'm thinking of ditching them as its not worth the trouble of watering them.  I shall give them another couple of weeks now that the weather is a bit more wet.  Although I had been misting them but perhaps not enough.  I shall learn from this, I think! 

04/08/2013 at 22:21

I was concerned last week as my beans had dropped a lot of flowers, but now they are growing beans. I think I read it can be caused by heat or wind. What's your weather been like, and what location are the pots in?

05/08/2013 at 15:43

The flowers drop off if they are not fertilized.  Ensure you don't use anything in the garden to harm the bees, and they will do the buzziness.

05/08/2013 at 15:52

Some of the flowers have blown off my runners in the wind we've had the past couple of days - but Moomin!  Don't give up yet!  Gardeners need patience   We've had some quite unusually hot weather for the UK, once your runners get going they'll be producing into the beginning of October - well worth a few minutes watering every day

Even last year, in the awful weather we had then, one short row of runners on poor soil produced enough beans for the two of us to eat some every day for weeks and weeks, and put plenty in the freezer too!

05/08/2013 at 17:20

mine dont seem to be dng to well either but Mine have got loads of black fly too.

05/08/2013 at 17:25

mine have very few flowers too and loads and loads of black fly.

14/10/2013 at 07:00

Must have good moisture retentive material for roots To grow into then as mentioned earlier fine mist spray mid day when sun hottest

email image
9 messages