14 messages
04/08/2013 at 22:17

Ive tried and tasted the black russian toms and they really are nice,

A bit sweeter than some other toms but i'd say well worth trying.

This is the second year ive had these,

they are very nice with salad, make smashing jam and chutney.

05/08/2013 at 00:24

Not that I have any Russian ones anyway, but all my toms are still green ....

05/08/2013 at 07:06

I have planted "black" tomatoes this year, including Black Russian. They are very strong and vigorous plants, but not many trusses per plant and are also still green. Will be interested to see what they are like once ripe.

05/08/2013 at 07:07

SD, I've tried them. Not my favourites, I have to say. I find the taste a little harsh. The "black" varieties, all mainly from the Crimea region originally, tend to polarise people. They have their fans and their haters. There's usually no half way.

05/08/2013 at 07:44
addict wrote (see)

Bergenia 

Italophile wrote (see)

SD, I've tried them. Not my favourites, I have to say. I find the taste a little harsh. The "black" varieties, all mainly from the Crimea region originally, tend to polarise people. They have their fans and their haters. There's usually no half way.

Hi Italophine, always interested in your posts on tomatoes, expecially from someone that lives in "tomato land"! I'll wait and see what the Russians are like, if I don't like them, I'll go back to my tried and trusted Spanish ones, can't remember the names just now, but they taste great even when still a little green, to remind me of long past holidays in France and Spain (salad niçoise et al)!

05/08/2013 at 08:20

I have had bleach cherry in the past an yum yum, however this year I have planted Russian black I foolishly thought they were little but an I right thinking they are like beef steaks? Pic to follow if my monsters!!

05/08/2013 at 08:25

Bleach cherry! sorry auto correct, should read black cherry

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28787.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

So as above does this look about right for a Black Russian ( yes apart from its green!!) (( sorry for some reason all my pics load upside down on here,,,))

05/08/2013 at 09:32

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28789.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

05/08/2013 at 12:24

are they black smoking donkey or is that just the name? Sara mine too are all still green. Think i'm going to chop the stem this week like what monty was on about, mine are just touching the greenhouse roof.

05/08/2013 at 12:25

lol there was only sara4's comment on this till i posted then all the other's showed up.

05/08/2013 at 12:31

Lol zombie it's still playing up! Yes they are black ( or the black cherry ones are!)

05/08/2013 at 13:38

Stacey it like's to turn my pics upside down aswell, But if i rotate the pic on my computer first, then save it upside down, than rotate it back the right way and save again, when i then upload them they are the right way up. So before i upload now i always do that. work's for me

05/08/2013 at 15:18

Stacey, there's a lot of confusion with the naming of some of the "black" varieties. There's a Russian Black, a smaller variety, though bigger than a cherry; and Black Russian, a beefsteak size. You can see how easily they could be confused. You've got Black Russian.

Apart from the obvious size difference I mention above, there are many "black" varieties that look and taste much the same but travel under different names. They either have "Black" or "Crimea" (or versions of "Crimea", like "Krim") in their name. Tomato experts tend to think that a number of these almost identical varieties are probably one variety that has been renamed and distributed over the years.

05/08/2013 at 16:38

Fantastic italophile thank you. Well lets hope they taste good I'm v impressed with them so far and seeing as I grow outside no blight yet ( just jinxed it)

email image
14 messages