London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
9 messages
03/10/2013 at 22:48

I saved Painted Lady and a purple french bean, Cosse Violette last year. 

Received good advise from posters but didn't decide to save them until late in the season, so the beans in their pods, spent their final weeks drying indoors.

I was pleased with the first attempt but some of the beans were smaller than the original bought and as I still had some bought one's left over, sowed these rather than the saved one's this year, knowing beans will be viable for a few years.

Checking the beans this evening some are dryer than others and only a few with smooth healthy skins. Q is are all the beans ok to sow next year.

This year I stopped picking earlier, there were so many, got sick of eating them and have a freezer full of beans to last a life time.

I've checked the beans to be saved still on the plants and they are as big as bought one's for sowing so hopefully I should get better results. Me thinks lettting last yrs seeds dry indoors was not a good plan. Q is how long are the pods left on the plant, I've started to pick off the leaves but some pods do not have beans in, the yellow podded one's are particularly empty of beans.      

03/10/2013 at 23:17

they need to fully ripen on the vine before picking. If they're not fully ripe drying won't finish the job. 

Any pod with no beans might as well come off. All plant energy into ripening seed now,

04/10/2013 at 21:09

Thanks for the reply nutcutlet.

Was going to pull off all the beanless pods this weekend, I know this has been answered before but why are there no beans in them? 

...take it not many posters save their bean seeds

04/10/2013 at 22:11

I don't grow beans Zoomer but I collect a lot of seed including legumes

05/10/2013 at 21:53

Thanks nutculet.

It's only the yellow podded one's which seem to be beanless. Went out this evening as the sun was going down and holding up the pods to the sun you could see which had beans in.   

Which legumes do you grow for seed, I tried two bean varieties this year without success, Californian Black Eye Cowpea and Hyacinth Bean.

05/10/2013 at 22:34

Hi Zoomer, I collect and sow seed of everything, even things I've got loads of in the garden and would divide easily. I just like sowing seed. This year's legumes; Baptisia australis already germinated, Lathyrus sylvestris not quite ready, Vicia cracca and Lathyrus pratensis swapped on the forum.

I'm not a veg gardener at all, odd for a gardening vegetarian

06/10/2013 at 19:42

What lovely flowers, checked the first two out on the internet.

I branched out from growing veg, to sowing biennial flower seeds last year, like you,I like sowing seeds. I'm always suprised with the end result. Hollyhock and wall flowers were planted out today, not grown either before so we shall see what next year brings, they need to survive several inches of snow yet but bellis and foxglove came through last winter.

I like collecting seeds to see if plants grow again the following year from seeds saved, hence the bean trial. Am also trying to save aubergine seeds but the aurbergines are just getting bigger with no signs of them dying back.

Happy gardening Nututlet.

06/10/2013 at 20:06

thanks Zoomer happy gardening to you

06/10/2013 at 20:49

I feel so much satifaction when I grow something from a seed that I have saved....it makes me feel less reliant on the big seed companies and gives me a glow of 'smugness' when I harvest my vegetables the next year lol

email image
9 messages