London (change)
Today 13°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 7°C
9 messages
08/10/2013 at 06:58

Hi

Im having a problem saving bird eye chilli seeds, they are turning brown while drying out after I scoop them from the pod.

any ideas why they maybe turning brown, this is my second attempt. the chillies are from tesco if that helpS.

Thanks

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32229.jpg?width=159&height=213&mode=max

08/10/2013 at 07:03

Hi Nicola   My thinking is that the seeds aren't ripe - to save seeds the fruit needs to ripen on the plant - chillies bought from the supermarket won't be as ripe as those grown specifically for seed.  You'd be better off buying a pack of seed - sorry  - don't want to sound discouraging.  Maybe someone else will come along later with some other ideas.

08/10/2013 at 11:00

Your seeds look like ones I get to sow, they are light brown

08/10/2013 at 12:08

Hi Nicola,

Chilli seeds are usually a yellow/light brown colour once dry. If they are turning a dark brown then they probably are dying rather than drying. Shop brought chillies may have been kept in cold storage for a few weeks before being placed on the shelves. 

For more information on chillies take a look at the Allotment-Web Chillies chilli pages. There is a new searchable database.

Allotment-Web 

08/10/2013 at 13:56

Oh is see, ill put a few on the window sill and see if they go red and ripen, if not ill buy some. Does the same happen with tomatoes I tried saving piccolo tomato seeds and they never germinated .

Thanks for your replies, 

08/10/2013 at 14:07

http://www.realseeds.co.uk have a really good section on saving seed.  If you scroll down the left you will see the links.  There are tips for pepper/chilli seed saving too.

10/10/2013 at 09:00

nicola, it's preferable, but tomatoes don't need to be 100% mature for seeds to be viable. Anything approaching 50% mature - when the tom has visibly developed some colour - will suffice. Your issue could have been one of sowing. How did you sow the tom seeds?

10/10/2013 at 14:22

sowed them and covered with 1/2 inch compost, put them in a propagator under a grow light. I did also ferment them for 3 days in my propagator- maybe it wasnt enough.

10/10/2013 at 14:54

Half an inch is too deep for tom seeds, nicola. They should be just covered and that's all. I drop them on top of the mix, sprinkle just enough mix over them to hide them, and press down gently.

How exactly did you ferment them in your propagator?

email image
9 messages