Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

seedless grapes

Good morning all you gardeners - not such a nice day today, but can't have it good every day. Can anybody tell me when is the time to harvest my seedless grapes, growing outside along my fence? This is the first time they have shown any fruit, so I'm protecting them well from the birds. Many thanks for any advice. nanniebutch

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

I've not grown grapes 'on my own' before but there were two vines on the front of the farmhouse where I lived as a child - the knack was picking them when they were sweet but before the blackbird found them ...... we now have grapes for the first time on a Boskoop Glory in our garden, and they're beginning to change colour.  I'll be testing one or two soon ........

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Yes, somebody else told me that you have to taste to see whether they are ready to pick, but I wondered just when this should be. Mine are white/pale green grapes, but my son-in-law has them in the greenhouse, and his are starting to turn pink - and he's getting quite excited. To protect them from the birds, I was advised to cover them with brown paper lunch bags, which I have done. Thanks for your help.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

Try them when they change colour. Mine are still green, but they are small round grapes, and they change to look like a pale whitecurrant. Its a wine grape, not a dessert one. I go by the taste and pick them then. I'm going to harvest and see if I can at least get a bottle out of them.

• I don't think I'll get a bottle out of mine, but I'll still enjoy the grapes - good luck, and enjoy your bottle - or maybe two!!