London (change)
Today 11°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 9°C / 9°C
6 messages
12/04/2013 at 20:44

Hi all...Im after some advice please.  I built a raised bed and put in some well rotted horse manure and new compost then covered it in a few layers of fleece to warm up the soil ready for planting.. 

After a couple of weeks I planted some seeds then about 10 days after that we had about 6 inches of snow which I cleared off the fleece. 

My question is will these seeds grow now and if not will it be ok just to leave them in the soil. and re-plant them. I planted carrots, beetroot, parsnip .

thanks in advance for your help

12/04/2013 at 21:17

I personally won't be starting any seed off in the soil at the moment. Rather, in trays/modules with good compost indoors or in a sheltered spot. Carrots and parsnips will be started next month.

12/04/2013 at 21:42

I help run a communuity allottment site we have a number of raise beds etc,  but due to the cold /snow /rainy weather more rain today and again some of the site flooded we are only planting seeds in pots/trays in ourer polytunnels hope to plant out when the weather inproves and soil dry out and warms up and hopefully we get some sun this year is a matter of waiting a little long and hope thing change

12/04/2013 at 21:53
The weather and the soil both need to warm up before sowing direct in to the ground. Also carrots prefer a poor light soil and may fork if there's too much manure. Still fine to eat of course but they may form strange shapes.
12/04/2013 at 22:12

I would have thought a proper cloche rather than fleece so the soil can actually warm for at least 2 weeks before sowing. It has been exceptionally cold though and I am sowing into the greenhouse at the moment toplant out later.

14/04/2013 at 12:51

Thanksfor all the advice.. I shall recover with some cloches that I have and hope for the best and if still nothing appesaars after a couple of weeks I shall re-seed

email image
6 messages