Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Seeds not growing

Hi all...Im after some advice please.  I built a raised bed and put in some well rotted horse manure and new compost then covered it in a few layers of fleece to warm up the soil ready for planting.. 

After a couple of weeks I planted some seeds then about 10 days after that we had about 6 inches of snow which I cleared off the fleece. 

My question is will these seeds grow now and if not will it be ok just to leave them in the soil. and re-plant them. I planted carrots, beetroot, parsnip .

thanks in advance for your help

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

I personally won't be starting any seed off in the soil at the moment. Rather, in trays/modules with good compost indoors or in a sheltered spot. Carrots and parsnips will be started next month.

• I help run a communuity allottment site we have a number of raise beds etc,  but due to the cold /snow /rainy weather more rain today and again some of the site flooded we are only planting seeds in pots/trays in ourer polytunnels hope to plant out when the weather inproves and soil dry out and warms up and hopefully we get some sun this year is a matter of waiting a little long and hope thing change

• LeggiLeggi Posts: 489
    The weather and the soil both need to warm up before sowing direct in to the ground. Also carrots prefer a poor light soil and may fork if there's too much manure. Still fine to eat of course but they may form strange shapes.
  • burhinusburhinus Posts: 58

I would have thought a proper cloche rather than fleece so the soil can actually warm for at least 2 weeks before sowing. It has been exceptionally cold though and I am sowing into the greenhouse at the moment toplant out later.

• Thanksfor all the advice.. I shall recover with some cloches that I have and hope for the best and if still nothing appesaars after a couple of weeks I shall re-seed