London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
14 messages
06/05/2012 at 10:29

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there any merit in potting up the self-seeded tomatoes in my greenhouse bed? They are such vigourous little plants! thanks

06/05/2012 at 10:37
Nothing to lose really! I'm sure Italophile will be able to advise.
06/05/2012 at 10:54

Last year I had tons of makota self-seeded tomatoes. Gave them to peple left right and centre and flogged some for 50p at work. Sadly they were rubish! I got one or two tomatoes out of them. My ordinary plant didn't to well eihter so it might just have been a bad summer. They grew very well to begin with and then didn't realy come to much.

Is yours F1 or normal. If the previous they will probably be rubish.

My advice is, if you have space I would do it. they might be fantastic!

06/05/2012 at 14:06

I think it's a great idea, don't waste them if last years fruit was good, What was the name of your tomato's.Before now when i've missed removing a side shoot and it's grown big i've potted the shoot up and got another plant.

Good luck.

07/05/2012 at 11:48

Thanks for your replies but I'm still not certain if it will be worth it! They would have been gardeners delight. I specifically asked because they are looking healthier than the 3 varieties I have sowed myself! Thanks, Janet

07/05/2012 at 12:32

I've had success with self-seeded toms before; but have been warned by more knowledgeable gardeners that some varieties don't come 'true'. If you have the space, I would have a go with them.

07/05/2012 at 13:34

I've put my tomato's in my green house in beds and the frost has got them so i can't bring them in the house. Will they come back or should i wait and get some more? I sowed them from seed early on in the house so i was looking forward to trying them.

07/05/2012 at 13:46

I get tomatoes popping up everywhere most years.  I keep meaning to be careful what I put in my compost bin but that never happens!  When I spread my compost I inadvertently sow the tomato seeds at the same time.  Usually I just weed them out but one year I left one and it did really well.  I was not entirely sure what it was!!

07/05/2012 at 15:29

Stephen

I fear they may be lost-you could sow some more but obviously they are going to be late or buy in plants-why not wait for a few days and see if there is any sign of life?

08/05/2012 at 08:18
chilli lover wrote (see)

Sorry if this is a dumb question but is there any merit in potting up the self-seeded tomatoes in my greenhouse bed? They are such vigourous little plants! thanks

If they're Gardener's Delight, as you say, pot them up by all means. They should be heirlooms, they should produce true to type. Did you have other varieties growing alongside them last season? If so, and a cross occurred, you'll get a version of the original from these plants. If you've got the growing space, it never hurts to find out!

08/05/2012 at 18:03

Thanks Italophile - I was hoping you might ofer advice! I also grew Marmande and Cuor di bue so maybe I might get a cross? 

Being a glass half-full prson I'm going to pot some up and see how they go. Thanks to you all for your replies. I'll give an update at the end of the season!

09/05/2012 at 06:21

Crossing depends on proximity of the plants and the volume of insect life, the vehicles for the cross-pollination. Crossing actually isn't as common as some people think. I've had very very few crosses over the years, but if I'm saving seeds, I always bag the flowers prior to their opening just to be on the safe side.

Anyways, with Marmande and Cuor di Bue as possible candidates, you'll know very quickly whether you have a cross. A beefsteak and an ox-heart both dwarf a Gardener's Delight so a cross would likely produce some big Gardener's Delights!

09/05/2012 at 18:59

Yay! Thanks again Italophile. Now I am positively looking forward to this experiment!

09/05/2012 at 19:48
Or some cherry sized ox hearts!
email image
14 messages