London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
1 to 20 of 22 messages
31/07/2014 at 15:28

Is anyone else finding their sweetcorn plants really short this year?

Last year mine were 6 foot tall or more and this year they're more like 3 foot tall but starting to tassle up already?.

I'm worried that the yield of cobs might be reduced?

31/07/2014 at 15:37
I thought the same,have yours got flowers yet? Mine have grown a little since the flowers have started to open, must be the weather
31/07/2014 at 15:50

yes they started showing signs last week, but this week they're fully tassled up and dropping pollen. the old plant is dropping pollen but is showing no sign of having any cobs forming (i'm guessing they're blind?) it could be the dry weather this year but they're right next to our wildlife pond and the ground always seems damp

31/07/2014 at 15:58

Mine are about 5ft, tasseled and showing a few cobs, but the mini pop are showing no sign of tassels even though they are nearly 5ft tall.  Never grown mini pop before.  Is anyone else?

31/07/2014 at 15:59
Mine are in a very similar spot, how odd, i spose its just wait and see now, we may be supprised
31/07/2014 at 16:00
I dont like mini sweetcorn, so havent tried growing it, i would have expected it to behave the same tho, what a strange year!
31/07/2014 at 16:07

i'm growing two varieties (on opposite sides of the plot so they hopefully wont cross pollinate) ones a standard F1 the others are called 'double standard'. both are the same size, one grown in the ground the other in a 4 inch high raised bed. last years were all grown in 8 inch high raised beds, so I thought moisture wouldn't be a problem?

02/08/2014 at 22:13

My sweetcorn looks really strong and healthy and the tassels are just coming through, but no cobs have formed at all.  I wonder if perhaps I won't get any this year as it's been so dry, but they have been well watered (they are container grown and I did well with them last year). Any ideas?

02/08/2014 at 22:56

I think it is just one of things , I have 2 sections of sweet corn growing and both section are doing well except for 2 plants that are Half the height , no idea why

Also a couple of the tassels are red ! Any body seen that before ? 

03/08/2014 at 06:47
No, never seen red tassles! I wonder what thats about? I suppose alot of us grow swetcorn which has been bred for cold wet summers, maybe this summer has confused the sweetcorn?
03/08/2014 at 08:27

I have got cobs forming, but on strangely short plants. I did get them going quite early and they were hit by a bit of cold. Someone down the road started his later and his plants are much taller.

03/08/2014 at 10:27
Ive just watched the repeat of GW, i noticed Monty's sweetcorn were short too, must just be the weather, its possible that this is how they should be and our usual very wet weather makes them taller???
Anyone else doing the three sisters system? As per usual, the beans have been swamped and the pumpkins are climbing the fruit trees and trying to swim in the pond! Anyone else got this trouble?
Another thing that is tiny, literally about 2 inches high are my white cucumbers, total wipe out for this year, but they are flowering! How odd!
03/08/2014 at 13:28

I grew a few lots in pots, not the ground. The ones I grew outside are really short, but the polytunnel ones are over 6ft. This is my first year growing them. Funny thing is, the ones outside had more direct sunlight hours than the poly tunnel does. About 4 hours more!

I've concluded from this, that heat is more important than light for getting the height. We've had plenty of light and heat in Somerset, but a hella lot of cold winds, which the poly tunnel plants are protected from. - But that's only a guess! It could be something to do with the watering, or maybe they thrive in less light.. It's all a bit experimental in my garden

03/08/2014 at 14:16

Mel, you could be right about the heat

03/08/2014 at 16:03
treehugger80 wrote (see)

i'm growing two varieties (on opposite sides of the plot so they hopefully wont cross pollinate) ....

Cross-pollination won't be an issue unless you want to save seed for next year.

treehugger80 wrote (see)

i'm growing two varieties (on opposite sides of the plot so they hopefully wont cross pollinate) ones a standard F1 the others are called 'double standard'. both are the same size, one grown in the ground the other in a 4 inch high raised bed. last years were all grown in 8 inch high raised beds, so I thought moisture wouldn't be a problem?

Forester2 wrote (see)

Mine are about 5ft, tasseled and showing a few cobs, but the mini pop are showing no sign of tassels even though they are nearly 5ft tall.  Never grown mini pop before.  Is anyone else?

I've not grown Minipop or any baby corn, but I understand that it doesn't need pollination, so presumably there's no need to worry about tassels 

http://www.seedaholic.com/sweetcorn-minipop-f1.html 

03/08/2014 at 17:05

Hi, Forester, I think we are growing the same mini pop variety from moreveg ditto mine are like yours but had a peek at the tops and there are flower heads just coming through. They've been planted in a rectangle but can be planted in rows.

Sweetcorn being grown on other plots look to be small plants which I'd have expected from mini pop but from experience of growing big corn on the cob I'm not expecting a crop until late September/early October this far North so thought they were on track   .

03/08/2014 at 20:03

Just decided it doesn't really matter how tall they grow as long as the Cobs taste fine 

I think mine should be ready sept/October as well 

hear is to good eating

03/08/2014 at 20:07

Yes Zoomer - my mini pops have just started to show one or two flowers today - maybe yesterday's downpour triggered them into life.

14/08/2014 at 20:56

My sweet corn are full size with lots of cobs but... very uneven ripening. I harvested one third when the tassels had turned brown and shrivelled to almost nothing. On inspection the lower half corn was yellow but the upper corn was white. Only two were fully ripe. Even though planted in a block, some cobs have not seen pollen and are still pure white? I will leave the remaining cobs for a few weeks to see what happens but I don't have high hopes. Last year I had no problems whatsoever.

14/08/2014 at 22:36

Fortester2 - check then for blackfly, I had blackfly on some plants last week, squashed them but now have the pests on plants about to flower. I'm going to try a garlic spray with olive oil in, but on a positive note the mini cobs are appearing with tassels on     

1 to 20 of 22 messages