London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 36 messages
08/03/2014 at 18:18

Hi folks, I purchased what I thought was a raspberry plant......never grown them before so please forgive this question, but from the picture below, is this a single plant or is it three plants / canes? Do I plant it in the ground as one, or split it into three? Thanks in advance!

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39147.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

08/03/2014 at 18:20

That's one plant with three canes (stems) - plant as one plant 

08/03/2014 at 18:23

Ah, thanks Dove. So will it develop more canes over the years? Do you know if it will produce fruit in its first year in the ground? 

11/03/2014 at 14:14

Anyone got any advice on what kind of feed to put on veg cos I'm new to this game 

11/03/2014 at 14:28

Tootles - those are Polka if my old glasses are working correctly.  I planted some last spring and was picking raspberries from August to November!!!  

Plant them, cut them down to just above ground level and stand well back!  They'll send up new fruit-bearing canes shortly.  The ones I planted last year are now sending up new canes and making a bid to take over the fruit patch!!!  

And they are a lovely raspberry.  We froze three boxes and ate them at Christmas as well as having them for meals throughout the autumn 

Steven, I use Fish Blood & Bone, and occasional scatterings of proprietary Chicken Manure pellets on my veg patch - I get them when the GC is doing a BOGOF which they seem to do about now each year. 

I also add well-rotted farmyard manure and/or homemade garden compost in the autumn or early spring. 

11/03/2014 at 14:33

Thanks dovefromabove I have some of that blood fish and bone do I just sprinkle that on the soil where the veg is or do I dig it in first 

11/03/2014 at 17:02

You can either sprinkle it on where you're going to plant and then rake the soil over, or you can plant and then scatter some around and water it in.  Does your pack have instructions etc?

11/03/2014 at 18:08

Yes it does just had a look at it thank for your help 

11/03/2014 at 18:08

11/03/2014 at 18:17

Sorry to hijack, but as someone who LOVES raspberry jam, can canes be grown in a pot?

11/03/2014 at 19:22

I've not done it but it can be done - take a look here  http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Grow-Your-Own/Fruit-A-to-Z/Raspberries

12/03/2014 at 22:31

Thanks Dove. I'm really excited now! Can't wait for it to settle in and grow!

13/03/2014 at 03:09
Bex, indeed they can! They were my first foray into growing fruit about 12 yrs ago. I only had a concrete yard, so tried some in 2 large pots. I went on hol for 2 wks that yr and asked a friend to water them. She did so every day, with the feeder jar on the hose, and I came back to a veritable jungle that yr, and loads of raspberries. They were Autumn (primocane) ones, and have moved with me every time. They have had a permanent spot in a real fruit cage now for 4 yrs, and still give me loads. Think I got about 5lbs that first yr from 2 pots. Got about 20lbs last yr, right up into Nov, but the last few weren't very nice or juicy so the birds got them! Have a go. The primocanes don't get so big or need as much support as the summer ones (though I didn't know that then!). And if you only cut half right back and trim the rest, you get a smaller early crop from the 2nd yr canes! Great! But bet you won't leave enough for jam!Oops, don't know how I made this italic. Sorry!
13/03/2014 at 03:10

Oh, it's not italic now sent! Blinkin computers

13/03/2014 at 11:14

...more on fertilisers, Steven: if you have soft fruit (such as delicious raspberries) they love potash - which just happens to occur in wood ash.  So if you have a bonfire (organic purists would shudder), fireplace etc., just shovel some on about now and let the rain wash it in.  Potassium helps flower and hence fruit formation.

Now, a question.  I have the opportunity to plant some raspberries and quite fancy autumn-fruiting ones as they're easier to manage.  I have some old Autumn Bliss (somewhere else) but is there a good new variety which crops more heavily and/or tastes better and/or is more disease/pest resistant?

Edd
13/03/2014 at 11:27

I think these are all superior to 'Autumn Bliss'  

Raspberry 'Polka' (Autumn fruiting) 2 week earlier and twice the crop.

Raspberry 'Joan J' (Autumn fruiting) larger than 'Autumn Bliss' better flavour.

Raspberry 'All gold' (Autumn fruiting) Yellow,more exquisite flavour than the red.  

13/03/2014 at 11:28

Polka is superb - heavy cropping lovely large fruit that hold their shape in the freezer, and great flavour 

Edd
13/03/2014 at 11:32

Snap!

13/03/2014 at 11:44

Great - thanks.  Looks like Polka is favourite.  Now I need to find some before it's too late to plant them.  And then steel myself to cut them down!

13/03/2014 at 11:44

1 to 20 of 36 messages