London (change)
Today 9°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 8°C
6 messages
11/06/2013 at 13:07

I have just been up to my strawberry patch to find that some creature has very neatly piled loads of my little unripe green strawberries in heaps almost as if they are storing them. Any ideas as to what would do this? I was going to net the patch but dont have very many left now so might not bother.

11/06/2013 at 13:23

Linda that sounds very odd! I hate to say this but could it actually be a person rather than a bird or animal? I'm sure someone will shed light on it but I don't really know of anything that would do that. Are they just piled up in the open ground? A pic may help if you can too. 

11/06/2013 at 13:35

I've heard that rats can do this sort of thing, anybody else heard of this?

11/06/2013 at 13:37

Squirrels.  They pick the strawberries, find they are unpalatable, but can't resist picking them!

11/06/2013 at 13:46

I did wonder about squirrels Welsh but thought they would have buried them rather than piling them up. Animals are so funny aren't they- I once watched a squirrel furiously working away for ages burying peanuts from a feeder all over the garden  - only to be followed by a magpie who ate them all. Not often I would say this but I  felt really sorry for the squirrel!

24/07/2013 at 21:31

Very new to gardening, have strawberries in, and quite a good crop....however, I seem to ahve a lot of half eaten fruits, mostly ground level, but some a bit higher...any ideas what is getting in (and how, they are fairly heavily netted) and what I can do to prevent it?

Thanks

email image
6 messages