Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Sowing Carrots all year long

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

If I sow some carrots now...Marion.....how long will they occupy the bed and can I just sow some more in the same soil or do I need to add anything

I want to have carrots to eat for as much of the year as possible

Which varieties / combinations of varieties can I buy to ensure a constant supply

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• Carrot seeds probably won't germinate if you sow them now - they need warm soil.  To have carrots all year round you need to grow several types, some which grow quickly that you sow several times from spring to mid-summer and you eat those when needed. Early Nantes are good for that.  The other type you sow in spring and then lift them during late autumn or early winter and store them in damp sand for eating over the winter.  These types are much larger and a good variety for doing that is Autumn King.  You can leave them in the ground if you don't want to lift and store them.  The tops die off so you also need to remember where they are and when left in the ground they are prone to slug and other pest damage. 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.