London (change)
Today 12°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 6°C
4 messages
03/11/2013 at 21:59

I am planning to grow cordon apples over a metal arch (so I think that makes them minarettes as they will be growing upright?). I intended to grow one either side of an arch which is about 5 foot wide, but it's about 3 foot deep so I wondered if I could grow a tree at each corner of the arch. I think the spacing for cordons is 2-3 feet but I don't want to risk overcrowding as I do have a tendency to want to squeeze in as many plants as possible, and I don't know if growing them upright rather than oblique makes a difference to the spacing. If anyone else has grown fruit trees over an arch please could you let me know what you think?

04/11/2013 at 17:08

I would probably only grow one tree at either side, I think one tree would easily cover one side of the arch. Good airflow is important.

04/11/2013 at 17:09

I would say that the spacing ideas that you have there Tulipgirl sounds about right. If you plant on each corner I think you should be about right. Pick trees that are grafted onto the appropriate rootstock so that they don't become too vigorous.

04/11/2013 at 21:31

Could you grow one tree each side of the arch, with each tree being pruned to allow two main branches (so it was a bit like a Y) to grow up the arch?

email image
4 messages