London (change)
Today 7°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
11 messages
21/04/2012 at 18:28

Hi, bought about half a dozen 'Tmbler' tomato plants recently and already I am seeing small light brown (tan colour) irregular spots on some of the leaves - and ideas, please. Pity pictures cannot be attached.

21/04/2012 at 18:31

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/6862.jpeg?width=353&height=350&mode=max

21/04/2012 at 18:54

Where are they now?

21/04/2012 at 18:59

What, the toms? Luckily they are in isolated in baskets in polytunnel.

21/04/2012 at 19:03

It looks to me like just like a bit of scorch-where drops have remained on the leaves and have been scorched by the sun--is that likely?

22/04/2012 at 08:26

It doesn't look to be fungal, the spots lack the tell-tale halo around them. It could be scorch or even fertiliser burn. Has anything like fertiliser been on the leaves?

22/04/2012 at 10:49

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

The actual tan coloured spots look to have a 'hard matt' finish and yes I did give the plants a foliage feed with a soluble fertiliser. I wonder if these spots are the result of undisolved particles landing and sitting on the leaf - or as suggested, sun scorch caused by the droplets?  I will leave one leave with mark on and watch it and report back.

Thanks for helping.

22/04/2012 at 11:22

A-ha! Fertiliser burn. One of the hazards of foliar feeding. Foliar feeding of toms can have its downsides - apart from burning, the wetting of the leaves can open the door to fungal problems. That's why I stick to feeding the roots when I fertilise. Which isn't that often.

22/04/2012 at 12:56
T Norris wrote (see)

Thanks for your comments, much appreciated.

The actual tan coloured spots look to have a 'hard matt' finish and yes I did give the plants a foliage feed with a soluble fertiliser. I wonder if these spots are the result of undisolved particles landing and sitting on the leaf - or as suggested, sun scorch caused by the droplets?  I will leave one leave with mark on and watch it and report back.

Thanks for helping.

You should not be feeding tomatoes yet-not until the first truss has set-feeding them now will induce leaf growth not flower.

22/04/2012 at 17:13

Hi, the first truss HAS set 

Will watch the last remaining spotted leaf, all other affected leaves removed, and will keep y'all posted.

22/04/2012 at 17:19

If it's fertiliser burn or scorch the spots won't progress. Don't remove any more leaves. They're the plants' best friends, they need them for photosynthesis.

email image
11 messages