1 to 20 of 21 messages
20/04/2012 at 19:49

Why do my spring onions take forever to grow? I am still waiting for those planted as seeds last year to get to a size big enough to eat-  the seed packet said they'd only take 6 weeks- not more than 12 months!

I have tried them in pots in the greenhouse, and outside in the veg garden in a good garden soil. Actually the story is the same with radishes.

I live in central Scotland.

Bri
20/04/2012 at 20:19

Will be Interested to find this one out, I'm in the same boat as MaggieL and in the Manchester area

20/04/2012 at 20:30

What cultivar are you trying?

kru
20/04/2012 at 21:52
My spring onion are doing the same.
20/04/2012 at 23:37

Same goes for me, think I've only ever had one reasonable crop, so long ago that I can't remember what type. The ones I've got in at the moment look hopeful (White Lisbon) I've got them in a fleece tunnel but they are being rather slow. However I have already had some radishes. I'm in Chester, weather was v.warm through March but is now cold and wet and frustrating!

20/04/2012 at 23:43

My spring onions always take ages too.  I tend to get my best results from sowing White Lisbon in the autumn.  They grow a bit and then stop during winter.  They start up again as soon as it warms up a bit in spring and that bit of a head start makes all the difference.  If I sowed them in the spring they would not be ready until autumn.  This year I am going to give japanese bunching onions a try.

21/04/2012 at 00:04

My spring onions grew lovely last year, but I did sow leeks last year that all grew except one. It got left over winter as a puny thing ready to be pulled out this spring, but now its started growing again!

I have no idea why this happens, I live in South-East UK

21/04/2012 at 08:45

Spring onions always take a devil of a long time to maturity. I find they germinate pretty quickly, get to about three inches, then really take their time. The seed packet advice is optimistic in the extreme. I'd say more like three or four months.

21/04/2012 at 10:03

I sowed my spring onions from seed into the soil last year and they also took a long time to mature most of them ending up in the compost bin in October, but the previous year i brought them on in a polysterene tray before planting out and had a great crop.I am trying both methods this year to see which method gives the best result, my money is on the polysterene tray method.

21/04/2012 at 11:03

I'm in the same boat!!!

I've tried sowing them in trays in the greenhouse and also directly sowing them outside. I've used red and white lisbon spring onions but they're all spindly. I garden on clay near Blackpool. I'm glad it's not just me! 

21/04/2012 at 11:30

hoppy2,keep faith with the tray method and plant out end of May i garden in Carrickfergus N. Ireland so our weather is much similar to yours so it should be a bit warmer, WE HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

23/04/2012 at 12:13

i,ve never had much luck with spring onions either! i just grow shallots and pull em young.

23/04/2012 at 15:01

I was beginning to think it was just me !, never had any luck with spring onions.

Feeling much better now about my UN-green fingers. 

23/04/2012 at 16:19

Hiya grandadgardener here....Edentoy has got the right idea...last year i sowed 3 rows of white lisbon in 3-4ft lengths of gutter,and brought them on in the greenhouse (unheated) when they were about 4inches high I slid the whole lot out of the guttering into the beds I'd prepared outside (end of May) and they done brilliantly.....gonna do the same this year...fingers crossed...happy gardening. 

24/04/2012 at 12:30

tried this method with peas and had a great crop,didn,t think to try it with spring onions, will now tho!!!   

24/04/2012 at 19:23

Add another unsuccessful grower to the list.

24/04/2012 at 20:21

and another!

24/04/2012 at 22:28

And me!

Only ever got one decent crop a couple of years ago, but they were particularly tasty. I have some at the two inch stage this year but I'm going to have a go at the gutter method as they haven't moved in two weeks.

25/04/2012 at 13:01

Hiya all...don't give up guys and gals....our weather is extremely fickle as you are probably aware and I'm sure that It'll all work out in the end...I've been gardening in one form or another for 50 years and I can quite honestly say that I'm still learning..Happy Gardening everyone.

27/04/2012 at 16:09

Oooh Those replies make me feel so much better and not such a dud spring onion gardener! Thanks to everyone. I'll have a go at the suggestions. White Lisbon is my variety too. Maybe someone can suggest a better one?

1 to 20 of 21 messages