London (change)
Today 11°C / 3°C
Tomorrow 7°C / 3°C
9 messages
16/05/2014 at 14:14

help me please ,I have to supply unending spring onions I find them hard to germinate they take ages.at the moment im sowing Lisbon and a red one the name escapes at moment does anyone know of a fast cropper?I sow every 2 weeks to try to keep up with demand but they are so slow don't know what im doing wrong please ,any suggestions

16/05/2014 at 17:11

MM........you are not alone............for some reason, I too have had trouble this year with germination of Spring Onions and Leeks too.  I'm lucky if I get 50% germination rate............seeds from 2 different suppliers so ?????

Be interested to hear other's comments/advice.

16/05/2014 at 20:07

I have sown a white and a red spring onion this year and they germinated very well here with two lovely full rows. I don't know whether they are particularly slow or not though, but I am awaiting them in anticipation. My parsnips and peppers however took weeks and weeks, but I left them alone and they've decided to show now. It might just be the hot/cold weather we've had so far this spring.

18/05/2014 at 08:06

Where have you sown them? I've germinated white lisbon on a sunny windowsill last year and in a plastic mini greenhouse this year and both times they've come up fairly quickly, though they can take a while to reach edible size.

18/05/2014 at 08:13

I grow spring onions in those 12 compartment trays which bedding plants come in. 1/2 seed tray size. I like to get 4 - 6 seeds in each cell, start them in an unheated tunnel, then plant the ech block later into the garden.

18/05/2014 at 11:32

Both sown in modules in unheated greenhouse........

18/05/2014 at 14:12

I've got white lisbon to sow - the packet says they can take 18-24 days to germinate and 12 to 14 weeks to reach picking size what a long time for such a small veg.   

18/05/2014 at 19:38

thanks everyone for the feed back will use the module way I have considered it but will definatly give it a go now In the past have always sown straight in the ground.I m keeping them happy with a good supply of various types of radish at the moment!!

20/05/2014 at 22:48
I sowed White Lisbon on 8th May and saw the first shoots coming up around 16th/17th May.

In a raised bed that's covered with a plastic greenhousey thing, temps been pretty warm since sewing them...
email image
9 messages