London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 10°C
6 messages
16/08/2013 at 14:03

Hello,

Unfortunately I missed the boat to buy sweet potato slips and it's now too late, however, there is a sweet potato lurking at the back of my veg basket which has started sprouting. I will pop it in a big pot or half a sack of compost and see what happens, but just having red how they're sold (slips taken from cuttings) I’m not sure this is going to work, but will give it a go anyway.

Do any of you grow sweet potatoes and have any advice or suggestions about this?

Many thanks

16/08/2013 at 14:43

Hi 2 Wheel,

Thanks for the advice- much appreciated.

when you say you take the slips off, does this mean you snap/ peel the sprouting bits off?

I guess it's a bit late now, but I'll give them a bit of pretection and keep fingers crossed.

16/08/2013 at 16:17

Treat the shoot as a cutting and keep it frost free in winter. You can put it out in the summer. I grow them for the foliage as I have had no success with the fruit. ..........I have been told that as they grow on the Equaitor they need baking soil to produce fruit.

16/08/2013 at 17:37

Many thanks 2 Wheel & Jatnik, much welcome advice.

18/08/2013 at 11:37

You're very lucky 2 Wheel Gardener, you may not live on the Equator, but must do in a very warm part of the UK. Good on you.

I cosset my plants in the GH to get the lovely foilage I spoke of.

04/01/2014 at 12:11

Oh dear, I've just realised that sweet potatoes are not tubers but plants. No wonder I couldn't find them in the catalogue. Although we are probably too far north to grow these I'm planning to grow a couple of plants in the poly tunnel. 

You never stop learning. 

email image
6 messages