London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 35 messages
06/01/2014 at 21:34

It's that time of year when thoughts turn to which spuds to grow...Our spud fair is in January...

I like to try some different one's but have old favourites. Last year it was Pentland Javelin, Winston, Estima, Wija, Desire and Red Duke of York. The last bag was emptied in November and they've just been finished off. They all did well so it's a difficult choise this year.

Which spuds will you grow again and which won't you grow...

Red Duke of York are a must but I won't be growing Charlotte, I find them hard to cook with, the skins fall off  and they go to mush..

07/01/2014 at 00:25

Never grow any potatoes which are easy to buy in the supermarket.  Grow something new to you each year.  Enjoy, there's nothing like the first freshly dug new potatoes.

KEF
07/01/2014 at 08:56

I'm staying with Pentland Javelin, I only grow 1st earlies. Still got quite a few in a sack in the garage, fine not sprouting and haven't lost much taste.

Must rememeber to start saving egg boxes for chitting seed spuds.

07/01/2014 at 19:31

Since I only have space for 4 potato bags, and have not done that well with expensive seed potatoes, I tend to just plant shop bought spuds that have chitted while waiting to be used They do very well

07/01/2014 at 19:56

Purchased my spuds today -  lovely feeling to 'get going' again.  Desiree - which I haven't grown for a couple of years, so trying again as I had good crops and also Maris peer.

Like KEF I must start saving eggs boxes for chitting.  

07/01/2014 at 20:09

I grow in bags, tried them in the veg bed one year and the year after had another harvest of spuds sprouting in with the broccoli.

I agree there's nothing nicer than tasting home grown and trying new one's too. Ambo, Edzell Blue, Dunluce, Nicola and Maris Bard all did well in bags. Looking back in my diary's, PJ and RD of Y seem to be favourites each year though.

I'm ever so excited, just put my name down for an allotment, must keep my feet on the ground though, the list could be long, and I might be 27 before one's offered.

07/01/2014 at 21:12

Sorry to be a stick in the mud but it will be Sharpes Express, British Queens, Golden Aonder and Roosters again in 2014.

08/01/2014 at 08:08

No Expert - I was interested in Roosters but the shop had sold out - are they worth seeking out and how do they cook?

08/01/2014 at 13:24

zoomer can you tell me when and where is the spud fair is it near Lancaster

08/01/2014 at 20:40

little-ann, It's at The Friends Meeting House, Meeting House Lane, Lancaster. It's not a big fair though 4 to 5 varieties tops of salad, 1st, 2nd and main crop spuds.

It's within walking distance for me but unless you planned to do something else in the area you'd be disappointed if travelling from Lakeland South just for the spud fair. A fair sounds good but grand this one isn't,  it's abit like an old bring and buy sale, you'd get round the Lancaster one 5 to 10 mins. Some of the bigger fairs offer 90 or more varieties, so wouldn't recommend you travelled any distance just for the Lancaster one.

The fair was advertised on the internet but now the date is advertised in the local paper the week before, sometime in January on a Saturday. I look to buy old varieties and then do a recci of the GC's and nursery's in the area after the fair. The date hasn't appeared yet.

08/01/2014 at 21:21

Thanks Zoomer i will just go to beetham nursery as usual then, i live near Kendal so Lancaster not so far. we sometimes come to a nursery on the way to Glasson dock cant remember what its called, near the golf club, cafes good as well 

hope you get your allotment

08/01/2014 at 21:46

Forrester2 They are a seriously good cropper, very sound large potatoes. We steam our spuds either in or out of jacket. Golden Wonders make better chips though.

08/01/2014 at 22:03

Thanks No Expert - sounds ideal as we trying to avoid chips and only have jackets or steamed (I don't say no to a roast potato though!)..

08/01/2014 at 22:07

little-ann - you must mean the one on Ashton Road, the book sections well worth a look in and the cafe sells nice cakes. There are two nursery/farm shops just past Garstang on A6 which maybe worth a look in when next in the area. 

I like Hayes GC in Ambleside

09/01/2014 at 00:35

Thats the one zoomer, i go to Hayes sometimes for a look round, Halecat and Summerdale are good proper nurserys and beetham grow some of there own plants but i do try to grow from seed or cuttings if i can

09/01/2014 at 19:54

little-ann - all three have just gone on my places to visit, I'd heard of the one in Beetham but not visited, all within a short drive too.. Do you like wildlife, Brookholes is a good place to visit, there are walks round the reserve. but we are going right off topic now...  

I'm the nurseries will all sell spuds though... 

09/01/2014 at 20:23

I go to one in Whitchurch  http://www.potatoday.org/ end of January

so many potatoes to grow I did grow a salad blue, blue right through but not many large potatoes  pretty to look at when cut open

Started saving egg boxes ready for the potatoes

not sure what potatoes I will choose this year

09/01/2014 at 20:29

thought you meant whitchurch shropshire for a minute then.. down  the A41 from  chester 

09/01/2014 at 20:47

no archiepem in Hampshire, there are so many names of places around the same

09/01/2014 at 21:11

I have no knowledge of any potato fairs down here in the wild west of Wales? Maybe someone can update me - maybe 'up East' in Swansea or the Valleys they have such things??

*Have decided on first earlies "Premiere" and "Rocket" bought during a family visit to the English Midlands. Main crop is limited to one 'novelty' per year: this time I've gone for "Pink Fir Apple". Does anyone have any pointers 'cos space is rather limited. Is it feasible to grow a few in 'maxi bucket-sized pots???

1 to 20 of 35 messages