Forum home Fruit & veg
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Spuds!

I may have mentioned before that I have 2 'bins' (actually an old compost bin cut in half that a neighbour gave me), that I am going to use for potatoes.

I think I am right in saying that I need to get them in soon?

Are they happy with any compost, my local too sells compost which I have used before and it wasn't too bad.

Any advice gratefully received image

• Orchid LadyOrchid Lady Posts: 5,800

Thanks Edd, sounds very technical image but thank you.  Not sure where I can get leaf mould from?

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Tracey I grow in bags see Garden photos 2014.

I planted 3 chitted spuds to a bag, planted in multi purpose with some organic potato feed, have used Growmore in the past.

In a cut off bin I'd plant 6. Need plenty of water as they grow and keep topping (mounding up) up to cover new growth, spuds that grow need to be in the dark.

Seems a lot of compost but you can chuck on garden afterwards.

Not too late at all, I usually do at Easter (ish) but have done early due to weather. I chit mine, but I understand it isn't vital. I only grow 1st & this year 2nd earliers, don't bother with main crop.  Just about finished the spuds I grew last year, they are in a paper sack in garage and still taste good. image 

If you need more info' shout image

Thanks KEF, I saw your pics on the garden thread. I thought I might as well utilise these bins I have.

I think I need to do some more research, I've heard the term 'chitting' but don't even know what it is image

Tracey chitting is when you let seed spuds start to grow sprouts on them, they do this in light but cool conditions. I put mine in egg boxes so they hold upwards. Then you plant them shoots upwards.  

I know some peeps use old spuds from "shopping" but I buy just a few "seed" ones each year from GC. A lot less likely to have disease.  

They are really easy to grow and so tasty.

I must be better at this gardening lark than I thought KEF, I have some spuds like that in the cupboard and I didn't even try image

So I get some 'seeds' (that look like small potatoes) from the GC, let them sprout little root things and then plant them, is that right?  Seems too easy??

Tracey go to GC look for "seed potatoes" it's that easy. I can't say which you'll like but for last few years I've bought Pentland Javelin 1st Earlies. I know other people have preferred ones but these have been reliable, save well, and taste good to me. They are also quite common and easy to find. Let's face it they all taste better than shop ones. image  You just need to grow some apple mint to have with them..soz don't go into melt down..image

• star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 17,656

Homebase do them too Tracey. We plant ours in the ground, really easy to grow and lots of lovely pots to eat. We plant a few different types and at different times so there is a rotation (for want of a better word lol) 

KEF, I already have mint image Not Applemint though, it's spearmint (I think!).

Thanks KEF and Lily.  I want to try and grow some for Christmas too, I am on a mission to grow all my own Christmas veg this year image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

That's what I want to do Scroggin, but just wander down the garden on Christmas Eve (we prepare all the veg Xmas eve usually), excited already, I just hope I can do it image